Guidance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ricecakes230, Feb 17, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is how I think learning curves work:
    [​IMG]

Two steps forward, one back and eventually we start over again.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now there is logic with teeth!

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    [​IMG]

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Did I see poop behind that cat in the lake? He obviously uses the lake for his john-cougar-melon-crap. Not good for our drinking water.:noway:

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Here is where I disagree. I picked up my PhD first from the City University of New York, did a pharmacology fellowship, and THEN went back to medical school about 6 years later to get the MD.
    -----
    Gary, its a joke.
    -----
    This is my example of not reaching the plateau. If I had stopped there, my research ideas would be isolated to lab animals (other grad students I worked with) and rats (my thesis advisor), not to mention those furry little mice and bunnies we experimented on. I went on to getting my MD, and research horizons became unlimited (of course I would still need the veterinary degree to practice on Kingtrumpet).
    ----
    Kingtrumpet is an endangered species. I think you need Federal permission and the last person who tried to work on Kingtrumpet was mauled to death. Be careful! he's a wiley beast!
    Here's an interesting hypothesis:
    You were in a forced situation. It was either learn or academically die (as I'm sure many did or at least many did while persuing my doctorate.) All learning requires synaptic change and one of the things that separates ( in my opinion) individuals who have been "forced" to learn at a high difficult level from those who were not is an ability to not become stuck because Stuck = Dead!
    Many were the times I banged my head, camped out at the library, studied all night for a test the next day, fretted, stressed, worried, over how I'm going to get a particular something done. How am I going to keep up!?! So, here we are with yet another interesting possible area of study (dissertation idea!) How Does Stress Created by the Social Need to Keep Up With the Class Effect Performances Plateaus?
    ----
    But the same is true of trumpet playing. If you are motivated, you should not sit on a plateau, but rather analyze the stall (PR interval) and quickly work through it and move forward. I honestly cannot say I have stalled more than a week, as my teacher, Eugene Blee would not let me get away with that and would have dropped me like a hot potato.
    ----
    Again, this is a possible situation of the stress of having to achieve (or be dropped like a hot potato) having a positive effect on the reduction of the learning plateau.
    ----
    As I progressed in jazz, each week was a new concept, a new experiment, a new level I found to challenge me.
    ----
    I think that once we are "hammered enough" into a certain level of stressful learning, we adapt and sometimes learn (again, in my opinion) the most fundimental method of long-term storage. We've learned to make learning interesting and that helps keep the plateaus at bay or at least (my choice) reduces them greatly. I've had times where I'd be in a funk and couldn't get out of it but they never last more than a week.
    I tend to do one of two things:
    1.Stop! don't touch the horn for a couple of days. Not even a scale or a buzz. This is usually enough to set me crazy and for lack of a better way of saying it "I got my mind right boss!" For those born in the computer age, I reboot.
    2.I go back to the basics and keep working. Soon the funk's gone
    Dr.Mark
    PS bring cookies

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Ouch!