" Guide to Brass Musical Instrument Repair" by Chris Bluemel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Osren, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Osren

Osren Mezzo Forte User

Oct 17, 2010
    Mesa, Az
    I'm always seeking a good Brass (or more specifically TRUMPET) repair book.

I know the Erik Brand book is considered an incredible resource, but was wondering if anyone has checked out this one by Chris Bluemel...

[h=1]Guide to Brass Musical Instrument Repair : The Ultimate Guide to Brass Instrument Repair by Christopher Bluemel[/h]
    would love some feedback on it...

thanx

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    No book can demonstrate proper techniques. It is an art that needs to be watched to learn.

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Yup. you have to have a feel for working brass.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Cultivate a good relationship with your repairer, offer to do menial tasks for him, sweep the floor, clean the sink etc, you may be allowed to watch him at work, a bottle of good wine at christmass will go a long way.

I have done this over 25 years, made special small tools for him, rollers for flute expander, brass jaws for his vyce. Now I take him jobs from time to time, always welcomed and a cup of coffee, stay as long as I like and watch him work, a lot is woodwind and saxophone which does not interest me.

Recently on asking on tightening the dump slide on my Mt Vernon Bach he got out his expander, handed it to me and said bring it back when you are done, it was returned next morning. He knows that I am not going to be in competition with him.

Michael Faraday one of the pioneers of Electricity washed bottles for the eminent physist JJ Thompson so he could watch and learn.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I got interviewed for a process engineering job at a base oil recycling plant in Spain about 20 years ago. After 30 minutes of listening to the Engineering Manager whine about how difficult his job was, I was introduced to the MD who asked me if I could weld.

'Of course I can weld' I replied 'Just don't ask me to work on a plant where I did the welding.'

The point of this little story is that there is a big difference between theory and practice. By now I probably know pretty well all internationally recognised welding standards backwards: the procedures to be followed, the test methods to be employed, remedial actions to be followed when a weld fails test etc etc etc.

But not in a thousand years would this make me a welder. That job has to be left to the experts. :-)

6. tubablue

tubablue New Friend

Dec 3, 2013
    This book is now being used at 2 of the 3 instrument repair schools and is the first comprehensive guide for brass repair. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected]. You do need guidance along the way, but this book is extremely detailed and covers the specific metalworking processes. It is available on JW Pepper and numerous other websites, and direct from the publisher "Northeastern Music Publications".

Chris Bluemel
    The Instrument Doc, LLC

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks for responding to the original post Chris. I've seen good reviews for your book. Whilst I send my best horns off to a real tech for repairs, I enjoy messing around with junk horns. All good advice from the other posters, but I really appreciate that you've produced this book and I'm in the process of ordering a copy right now.

All the best!

tj