guide to reading music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Iceman444443

Iceman444443 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Finale used to have a free version that was limited in it's capability. The hope was to entice you to buy a more feature rich version. It would seem that few people paid for better versions and were content with the free one. they no longer have a free offering but instead use a trial version. If you find it useful, then you'll need to buy it.

It can be used to help you hear how it's supposed to sound, but it doesn't help you to learn how to count out the rhythms yourself. If you get into the habit of listening to someone (or something - the computer) playing the rhythm for you, you'll always react and come in slightly late on passages. Counting is essential for clean playing in any ensemble.

If you are a complete beginner, your teacher should teach you the basics of music notation.

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    i am not understand how the hymn book can help me read what music is? And what each note represents on the lines?

4. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I can tell you that when I started, (I was very young) it took me 2 - 3 years before I could name all the notes on paper. Actually naming them is not that important, however. You have to know how to play them.

How to learn the note names fast:
    get a simple song you knowk, get the sheet music for the melody line (solo part ect.) and write the note names under the notes. Then have someone correct them for your. Learn from your mistakes, and try again with as many as possible different songs. Here's where a hymnbook might help.

How to learn to play the notes you see written:
    You want to go from sheets to brain to fingers as fast as possible, and skip all steps in between. Don't think: note x is an A. I have to play it with 1+2, pressing 1+2. try to teach yourself to skip the naming step. (see te note, and immediately know what to press)
    This might take some time, but practise makes perfect

5. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I learned it through piano as a 7 yr old. And then I solidified my trumpet fingerings as a 5th grader using SmartMusic. It was a great tool. It would record me and annotate what I played verses what the music was and it'd highlight good notes and red the bad notes and give me a grade. I'd on some days spend 30 minutes at a time (a lot at the time!) just trying to get my grade above 90%. On some days I'd get it to a full 100%.

I think it's really essential to at least doodle on the piano. The 3 finger combination of the trumpet valve block can get very very counter intuitive...

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This post is very close to what I believe. You have to play the same thing over and over again. When you look at the page and think, "not this again" your just starting to get it.

Arban's is laid out in a manner to repeat things you will see in every day music repeating and slowly advancing. That's how to learn. A hymnal will teach you to read very little. I like the idea and think it's a good tool for learning the language of music but not necessarily reading.

Repetition, you see it and in your mind know how it goes before you play. You know this because you've played it so many times before.

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    You are correct in repetition being the answer. But I would debate with you the hymnal reading. While it is not normally challenging material, it is very lyrical in nature and can teach a student the importance of being musical, rather than just playing notes. If played at a slower tempo, it can easily sound quite nice, indeed, and should help establish a good foundation.

The technical study books are good as well.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is a quote from my last post;
    "I like the idea and think it's a good tool for learning the language of music but not necessarily reading."

I think we are saying the same thing. By "the language of music" I mean understanding phrasing and being lyrical.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Finale Notepad, the pared-down verson of Finale, used to be free. It's now $10 to download: Finale NotePad ? Entry-level notation software to print and play your music

This one is free, and is pretty good: MuseScore | Free music composition & notation software

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    The OP needs to learn the very basics of notation. I think a lot of commenters addressed things beyond his immediate need.

Saile, you first need a book that will have all the basics. How notation is codified, what are notes, intervals, rythm, etc. Too many teachers assume one knows these things when often they don't. For years music teachers in France have started student on reading with the Dandelot manual, which one can use even for advanced studies since it contains all 7 clefs.

I don't know if you can find a translation of it Saile, but you can try to apply the basic principle: start by learning notes that are reference points. In treble clef, the C one ledger line below, the G on the 2nd line, the 3rd space C, G on top of the staff and C 2 ledger line above. These will be your reference points. Then learn where notes will lie by respect to these according to how much of an interval separates them: a 2nd will be right next to it, so either on the neighboring line, if you're in a space, or in the neighboring space, if your reference point is on a line. A 3rd will be on the next line if the reference point is on a line, space if reference is on a space. So on for 4th, 5th etc.

Then there is not other way than practice, i.e. doing it.

The nice thing about the Dandelot is that it has lines and lines of notes to practice reading, with increasing diversity of intervals, starting with 1/4 notes and ending with sextolets of 1/16 notes with a target tempo of 100 to the 1/4 note.

I started learning music at age 26 with no prior education in it whatsoever and I had a workable reading ability in a very short time by using the Dandelot. Another big help was a percussionist method, called Dante-Agostini, for rythm. Of course, not learning that kind of thing as a kid means that it will always be a weak point, unless I work extra hard on it perhaps, but one has to prioritize. I am not aiming to compete for gigs with pros, so being able to sight read complex charts is not my priority.