Guido Basso...greatest flugel ever!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetjens, Sep 12, 2011.

1. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    I love making emphatic statements...must be getting older and don't care anymore. Or perhaps I care more than ever and just want to inspire spirited, positive discussion. Please note the second last word of the previous sentence before flamethrowers start getting warmed up. In fact, you can try flaming that subject header all you want...fact is nothing is better than Guido, only different. I'm quite certain that a legion of fans will come to my aid in case there are any annoying trolls out there. Could you believe that thread about Chris Martin? I hope that poster who claimed Chris had a 'puny' sound was joking just to get a reaction...which they did. If he/she was serious, then they are either young and inexperienced or old and inexperienced...either way, the common word remains.

This is not a contest and not intended to be a debate. Simply an affirmation that Guido Basso is very arguably the greatest thing to ever happen to jazz flugelhorn. His tone is legendary (three notes and you can peg him...just like Miles). His lines are filled with a grace and joy that harkens to a bygone era of class.

As a musician who travels extensively around the world, it is important that a new generation of players who did not grow up listening to the Boss Brass big band be aware of Guido in particular. Since his career is in Toronto, the sheer genius of his playing is not always known internationally. I mean, we can go through that entire band of legends and inspire even further conversation, but today feels like Guido day. Plus, I owe him. He played at my wedding 13 years ago and only charged me a bottle of scotch...it was actually no charge but I forced a Lagavulin 16 on him anyway!!!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A mature musician listens for the good in the playing of others, an immature one for the bad. Guido is amazing, and has been for years--thanks, Jens!

3. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I know of the post you speak of. Chris Martin's sound is beyond superlatives and he is going to get even better.
    When I hear someone who plays great, I just sit back and enjoy what they give us.
    Rich T.

4. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Ah yes, Mr. Velvet Chops himself!!!!

I'll come play my '41 22A Connie for you for a bottle of their 12 year-old!

Yours truly,
    Not quite as smooth ;-)

5. trumpetjens

trumpetjens Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2005
    Ah yes, a classic! The Conn that is...we shall settle for nothing less than the Lagavulin 16...we'll just have to have it together!!!

Jens Lindemann
    Jens Lindemann's Web Quarters

6. daveinaz

daveinaz New Friend

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks for introducing me to him :)

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ONE TAKE - MY ROMANCE - YouTube

but can he play a double high C swimming on his back in a pool?? I DON'T THINK SO!
    seriously ... this cat can play. It's a shame that all the nonsense gets a million views on youtube and this one not even 1,000 yet.
    Thanks for bringing up his name Jens ... you rock!

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    oh and concerning emphatic statements that blue sparkled jacket you wear qualifies too

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you can find a recording of him playing "Windows Of Your Mind" with the big band, it is amazing.

Yeah Jens...He's The BEST!!!

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Great playing, love it!
    Thanks