Guitar Center has been sold.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Apr 9, 2014.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't know if it's good news or bad news. But I think it's big news. The sale is hoped to reduce the company's debt and create some room for expansion/improvement.

Ares Management Gains Control of Guitar Center - WSJ.com

As most of us know, Guitar Center's subsidiaries include Music and Arts, WWBW, MusiciansFriend, Music123, Giardinelli, and others. They might be the largest music instrument retailer. Although I wonder if Amazon will surpass them.​

Tongue-in-cheek warning ...

This appears to be good news, and hopefully will help balance the bad news released in February that only 88% of Guitar Center customers become famous musicians. :-)

New Study Finds Only 88% Of Guitar Center Customers Become Famous Musicians | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Unfortunately this is an example of some mega rich people looking for a way of generating tax breaks. It is nothing to do with music, but it is just that the music industry is a convenient (small) size for these people to play around with it. I read a great article which explains it all and will look to see if I can find it.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  4. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    To the OP it is bad news .

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Can't say as I have any shred of human sympathy. I dislike and fear corporate monoliths for a variety of reasons and try, to the best of my abilities to deal as much as I can with individuals directly. Can't always have my cake and eat it though, but somewhere I picked up a strong Anarcho-Syndicalist streak....

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Noooooo!!!! :roll:

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Isn't that part of the trumpet playing gene? Come on Doc - where are you when we need you?

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I'm fine with all this. The more these big companies play around with guitar center and wwbw, the stronger small privately owned music stores will become. I mean after all, what are the odds they do something right? Pretty slim I'd say.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the article I find interesting!

Guitar Center's real problem: their customers are broke

The problem is the ever shrinking middle class. If there is no middle class, there are only elitist and the poor. Poor people don't/ can't pay for more than basic necessity's. Poor folks can't be concerned with things we discuss regularly. Want a good economy? Then you need a robust middle class. Tobylou8 2016 :ROFL: