Guitar Center has been sold.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Apr 9, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've been to GC! I know why their "client's" are broke! They spend all their free time in GC "jamming". You took back your "like"! :-( :-(

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Yeah, I took it back because I liked your post, but then I read the article, and didn't like it. Poorly written jibberish, IMO. But I agree the middle class is getting screwed and that is hurting the music business. I can see that this is quickly going to devolve into a political discussion, so I'm going to bow out here though.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I wonder if Amazon won't swoop in with their drones and fill any void Guitar Center leaves behind.

All this being said, I like shopping at WWBW. But that's separate from their ownership/debt challenges.

Mike

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Cool link! I see that Eric Garland gets the same pay as "United Nations Ambassador to Guitar Center" as the moderators get here.

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    I share the sentiment.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It definitely has the potential to go that way :roll: Being in business for myself, in the service sector, I always have to look at how to do the job well AND be profitable! I noticed several years ago, for my business model, my margins were better without employees! I would have to get really big to see a significant increase in my personal pay! So I've stayed small and personal. My clients are very loyal and I do not take that for granted. GC employees that I've encountered don't get that.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What I would like to see would be the ability to buy instruments online directly from the manufacturer.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    A little short sighted, I think. Unfortunately, the more these big companies play around with GC and WWBW, the more likely that those will declare bankruptcy owing millions to their suppliers. Those suppliers have difficulty absorbing such losses and, in the case of one factory, put all workers on half salary for over 2 years. It was either that, or go under. Where is the privately owned music store when the manufacturers all start going under as a domino effect resulting from the selfish actions of billionaire elitists.

Like it or not, we small operators need GC and WWBW to maintain sales volume in order to keep the manufacturers in business so they can supply product to us. Like the debt collection notice "Please pay us - so we can pay them - so they can pay you"

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Ivan Hunter, Thomas Inderbinen etc. ?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That would be good for us but bad for retailers. I run into this when people want to save a buck or two. "This guys cheaper", I hear this all the time. I don't panic and ask them, "Why do you think he can charge less "? There are myriad reasons but it always comes down to you get what you pay for. Would I like to be able to get a Getzen directly from Getzen? Absolutely! If the local Getzen dealer goes under, where do I go for service? Parts? Getzen or most other manufacturers don't want to deal with John Q. Public directly (Getzen even implies it at there site) so they have dealers/retailers.