Gunther Schuller/Miles Davis record

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Jimi Michiel, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hi Wilmer,
    I've been doing some research on Miles Davis' life and career, especially with regard to "classical" influences. I have found some references to a Columbia studio date which featured Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass. On the other side of the LP was supposed to be a collaboration between Miles and Gunther (Gunther played on Birth of the Cool, so they must have at least known each other). Miles didn't sign on to Columbia until the mid 50s, so it must have been mid-50s. I can't find any record of the record ever being released.
    This is probably a shot in the dark, but I know you said in your Peabody interview that you played in some of the first performances of Schuller's piece and so I'm wondering if you could help me fill in some loopholes, either from personal experience or hearsay. It was probably a decade and a half before you moved to New York, so I know it's a shot in the dark, but I figure if anyone might know if this session even existed, it's you.
    Thanks,
    Jimi

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The other side of the Schuller Brass Symphony contained works by John Lewis, J.J. Johnson and Jimmy Giuffre. Miles had very little to play on these pieces. Joe Wilder had a couple nice moments in J.J Johnson's work.
    The titles are......
    John Lewis-"Three Little Feelings"
    J.J.Johnson- "Poem for Brass"
    Jimmy Giuffre-Pharaoh

Dimitri Mitropoulis conducted the Schuller, Guther conducted the rest of the album.

Wilmer

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks, Wilmer! So Miles played, but was not the "leader" or "headliner"... That's very helpful. You wouldn't happen to have a date and/or catalogue number for this recording, would you? I've wandered aimlessly through many used record shops looking for it, but so far have found nothing.
    Thanks again,
    Jimi

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Here you are.....be quick!
    http://www.musicstack.com/item.cgi?f=1&aid=z&item=110333726&band=Gunther+Schuller+And+Others
    Wilmer

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Wilmer,
    I can't thank you enough. I thought I had covered the entire internet, but there it is! Now, if you wouldn't mind, could tell me how I can win one of those New York Phil jobs that just opened up?
    Thanks,
    Jimi

6. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    HI Wilmer,

I have the reissue of Music for Brass in CD. It was released with the name
    "THE BIRTH OF THE 3rd STREAM". This album has the Music for Brass and a Modern Jazz Album all of them conducted by Günther Schuller with the exception of the Symphony conducted by Mitroupulos. It is not that old (the reissue). This reissue cutted a work by Milton Babbit I think.

Miles played some nice lines in Some little feeling with the Flügelhorn.

Gus

7. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Yes, this is supposedly the first big jazz recording of the flugelhorn. Miles was inspired by his experience here to use the flugelhorn on Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, etc. It was also the musical success of this record that convinced Miles (& Columbia) to invest the money and rehearsal/studio time in Miles' lat '50s large ensemble projects with Gil Evans.

The other stuff on the CD reissue is from the Brandeis University festival where Gunther Schuller formally "announced" the birth of the "3rd stream" via commissioned works by himself, Babbitt, Geo. Russell, Mingus, et al.