H & A Selmer Horns

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BrassBandMajor, Dec 17, 2016.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Mother says I can buy a cornet. :) yay.

I want a modest horn to repair and have fun that is under 100 bucks so I go on ebay and try to look for junk or beaten up Strads.

I find a H & A Selmer Bundy cornet and this is one is NOT the Bundy I know. It looks more posh and much more intermediate to low pro-line horn. Looks like a nice player as well...... May grab this up. The valve block is so pretty, looks like a Bach Strad valve block....

Anyone got info on H & A Selmer Bundy horns? I believe this is a French-made horn, before Bach designed those horrible stuffy Bundy in the States.....

Bundy H&A Selmer Cornet (stock#205) | eBay

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    That's a nice Blessing Standard there

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Maybe its a two tone valve block pre-war Blessing...

Maybe should just buy a Holton resotone...

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    For no discernible reason, Blessing Standard stencils may have nickel upper casings; I've seen plenty of Bundys, Franklins, etc. with them but no other features putting them closer to the Artist model. The bracing is sometimes a U-shaped brace as well; these are good instruments though I find the copper-belled versions [like the Franklins] a bit more open.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Unless it happens to have been made in the hidden factory in Elkhart, France, it's still a stinking Bundy.

6. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Since a pile of Strad parts would be still way out of your budget, that sounds like a good idea. Now finding a horn that was only built for two years, that is in rough shape, and which is priced in your bracket because few have heard of it, may take some time. I think it's been a couple years since I saw one on the Bay - got it for about $100 and made minor repairs to make playable. A mid-to-advanced horn at a parts price, not a bad plan. Now you just have to be either patient, or lucky.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've got a nicely beat-up modern Buescher Aristocrat cornet lying about that needs some TLC (water key axle missing, a few braces loose) but is a nice player (valves are ok). I can let you have that for free (+ postage).

8. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    How much for postage?

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Around € 40, I guess.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Apparently I play a Bundy! And quite honestly it is a very nice cornet that stacks up well against the ycr2xxx or the c6xx. Not to mention it is shorter than those two as well. Don't buy a nice horn to kill it! Find an old NP cornet and bring it back from the grave. Lots of those have been played to death and come up cheap fairly often