h.l clarke studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, Jan 3, 2010.

1. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    just wondering which the best ones are to concentrate on. at the moment i have just started to work on the second study No. 39 (g major) so that i can improve my range up towards e within the stave (have only been playing seriously for about 4 months) should i play slurs as indicated or is it best to tongue each note to improve articulation.

is it really worth learning these studies in every key? or is it best to just select randomly now and again?

as a guitarist it is unheard of to learn studies like these in every key, i guess mainly because on guitar you only have to move the pattern up or down a semi-tone to change the key.

any more studies from books that i should learn? i have hear that arbans 49th is great

cheers

dave

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I do some Clarke every day. It will help your range and help dexterity with your fingers.
    You need to learn all the keys. The guitar is a good analogy. Playing in a different key has to be as easy as just moving your hand up and down the neck.

All of the studies in that book are important. Keep going!

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    think of them as little mini flow studies. I do the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th study in a 3 day rotation, twice a week, and other studies and etudes when I have time. Master them slured, but also use different articulations and keep the sound the same.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I do one slurred and repeat with one single tongued (no interruption, it follows right away same tempo), which I can do up to a tempo of 105 to the half note, except on a few (low A and B, medium F#). I have not yet worked seriously on double tonguing and will not use these as a first exercise but I don't see why one would not practice them as described by the author: first slurred, then single tongue and eventually double tongue. Spend more time on the ones that are more difficult for you. As with most methods, you can't go wrong if you follow the author's directions.

5. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    ok will try and incorporate a study into my practice each day. it just seems very daunting at the moment as it has taken me all day to learn the fingering for one study lol i plan to get a teacher in the next couple of weeks which should push me some more.

cheers

6. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    For what it's worth:

I do one study (entire study, not individual exercise) each day. I start with #1 on Monday, and go through the first 7 studies. That way I have them constantly rotating. Do them very softly and alternate slurring and tonguing.

As you've been playing for only 4 months, this doesn't really apply to you, but I thought it might be interesting for other readers, and it will be something to consider when you've been playing longer.

Stuart

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Everyone has to start somewhere, start by mastering just a few keys for each study.

8. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Hello Dave, I have started back playing after quite a long time off.I actualy got my old teacher back and he started my out right where i left off with HL Clark technical studies second series, I have been at it for six months now, and I must say what an improvement, it goes very slow but well worth it. The Hl Clark is the Bible for trumptet players, learn it well, and use it wisely, indeed get yourself a teacher and Clark will be all you need for a while
    with some etude work and Arbans worked in.
    I start everyday with the 1st study with a system my teacher taught me, I do not go through the whole 25 excersises, I wish I could show you but would take too long here but it warms me up enouph to work through # 17-25 then I work on the Etude#1.
    I work on seperate stuies like the second study Mon. third sudy Tuesday and so on through the week including Sunday.
    I must stress that you take these studies slow very slow, take only very easy ones at first, only two numbers like #27 and #32 of the second study for Monday and work on it till you get it perfect, remember this is also to increase your breathing abilities the higher range will come, be patient and keep at it. Get a electronic metronome, its the best $40.00 Ive spent, the one I have will tell you when your in tune also. Hope Ive helped you, best regards Carroll Schroeder

9. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    25 years off here.:shock: On day one of the comeback, went straight to Clarke's Technical Studies. Very painful to hear myself play those studies. Felt like howling along with my dog. After 4 months I'm making good progress. And the dog is not howling so much. Although, she still has a tough time listening to me play Colin Lip Flexibilities, especially the high trills! The Clarke book is great because there are so many variations you can apply to the studies, depending on your ability and what you need work on most.

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    The Clarke studies are a "must" do for any serious trumpeter... playing in all 12 keys will improve your technique immensely as there are easier patterns and harder patterns strewn throughout the exercise. I have students (and myself) practice these slurred, single tongued, slurring downbeats / tonguing upbeats, and double tongued.

Remember that it's not JUST the exercise that will enhance your range - it's HOW you practice the exercise. If you do an exercise incorrectly, it will do more harm than good.

Just my thoughts -

Keith Fiala