h.l clarke studies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daveblue222, Jan 3, 2010.

1. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

2. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    thanks again for the advice.

Oldenick: i was actually playing in this way earlier and did notice that it seemed to be more precise. When i was pressing the valves more softly i was getting unwanted notes or slurs.

im also struggling to play the studies with slurs because i run out of breath lol however i seem to be able to play them better when i tongue (not sure why this is though?)

dave :play:

3. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Dave, running out of breath is part of the training, and you don't learn these scales overnight, it will take months even years to perfect them and then like a weight lifter you keep in shape. Kind of scary at our age isn't it. I also agree with Keith F. the scales need to be played correctly and if not can cause bad habits to form.
    Hang in there. Carroll

4. daveblue222

daveblue222 New Friend

Aug 19, 2009
    ok was just a bit daunted when in some studies (from other book) it states to repeat 2-6 times. i was thinking maybe it "should" be easy to play in one breathe. like everything else just hard practice in the end haha

one other question, as a beginner what bpm should i set my metronome for (taking into account that they are written in cut common)

cheers

5. Carroll W. Schroeder

Carroll W. Schroeder Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    Hello Dave If we are going by the same HL Clark book the BPM are listed but if you have an up to date metronome witch I finaly had to get because my old wind up thomas was shot. you can set the speed almost anywhere you want as long as you set the beat right.
    I have a Korg electronic metronome and it is about the size of a black berry witch I can set up right on my stand and also tell if IM in tune around $40.00 at most music stores. And as always with anything start out slow get the beat in your head then pick up the speed, the one thing a good teacher will do that you don't realize until later is that he or she will get you a system of practicing going and then you will notice the progress,otherwise you just jump all over the place and acomplish very little. Cut common at least to my knowledge has alway's been 2-4 time. I forgot some of the old metronomes only let you set the speed, My Korg lets you set both the time count and the speed. And yes you get into some of the lesons that i'm getting into where they want you to play the whole page with one breath and you have a struggle to make it through two or three bars out of 11- 12 bars, it is very difficult to accept, Im 64 and in fair shape but I know I will have to start working out to do these excersizes, especially after this Xmass feast. I do know that these excersizes can be done my teacher is 68 and he still can do a whole page in one breath and then some.
    So it is possiable. You are on the right track, keep up the good work. Best regards. Carroll

6. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Firstly, welcome to TM! This website is a great resource and is especially useful to beginners. Clarke studies should definitely be studied in all keys and with various articulations. I really feel an improvement in my multiple tonguing by practicing some of the first exercises using just the "k" syllable. I believe it's never too early to start learning multiple tonguing. Keep up the good work and it will pay off! :play:

7. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    welcome to Trumpetmaster. My favorite exercise in the Clarke book is the second study, great, like many others in the book to get your chops warmed up

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Agreed. I do something similar, then change up the articulation trying to make K sound the same as T...

KK-KK-KK
    KT-KT-KT
    TK-TK-TK
    KTK-TKT
    KTK-KTK
    TKT-TKT
    TKT-KTK

9. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Some questions / thoughts on the H.L. Clarke studies as well as other studies and scales. I've started playing trumpet 4 months ago after not for the past 25 years. :-( Taking lessons 1 day a week and the instructor has mostly utilized some similar (but different) studies only he has me practice a number of notes slurred together going up and down with the same fingerings. ie. all 3 valves down and play low to high in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 notes, then same thing with a different fingering. I looked at the H.L. Clarke book and it looks like a big mess of different notes to play. How do you go about using this book? Looks like the second study is actually easier than the first study. I know that the H.L. Clarke book as well as the Arbans book come highly recommended, but I think the Arban's book looked even more intimidating or at least from a where do you begin. So far as scales do you recommend learning and practicing all major/minor/chormatic scales, etc. or are just certain ones primarily beneficial?

thanks

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    The Clarke book is written with purpose... it's best to do all of the exercises to build technique, and play exactly as prescribed by Clarke (softly). Start slowly, and practice primarily the more difficult passages. Clarke himself discussed that practicing the easier ones (only) would not help you advance...

My best suggestions for Clarke and Arbans is to go slow and keep in mind that this is a slow building process... not meant to be something that is finished or "completed" in a week or two. Take your time and it will pay huge dividends!

All the best -

Keith Fiala