H. L. Clarke - Technical Studies for...?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JTR-606ML, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    Hi,

I am completly new so please do not laugh.

I've found a second hand "H. L. Clarke Technical Studies for Cornet" book but I recently bought a trumpet and obviously I want to learn how to play it. Can I use this "cornet" book for trumpet or would it be a no-no?

Thanks!

2. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    Cornet and trumpet methods are generally interchangable. The Clarke book is as good as any for working on technical excercises and finger studies. You might need some more basic stuff before clarke if you really just started though. Good luck!

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    The studies work just fine on a trumpet. You may want to start with something a bit easier if you're just learning to play trumpet, but when you're able to handle the book, it will do you good.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Sorry, Annie, we must have been typing at the same time. What you said.

5. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    Thanks hornblatt & ChopsGone!

So there is no diff between the two instruments, right (in terms of notes, fingering, etc)?

Yes, I know that. I'm going to have my very first trumpet lesson this Tuesday and hopefully I'll be able to afford at least one lesson a week for the first 6 to 8 weeks. After that, I'll gradually increase the time span between the lessons.

I wasn't planning to use the book straight away anyway...just wanted to buy it so I can have it ready in about 2-3 months.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  6. hornblatt

hornblatt Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2005
    DC area
    JTR:
    As far as fingerings and notes, you are correct. There is no difference.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck with the lessons and I hope you have fun!

Annie

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There was a time when the trumpet was considered "vulgar". The cornet was supposed to be equivalent to a flute, violin or piano for solo repertory. This is why the original Arban, St. Jacome, Clarke methods are labelled as being for the cornet.

Modern history has changed the construction of the trumpet, given it a long tapered leadpipe and bell - thus turning it into sort of a "mega" cornet and leaving the trombone as the last instrument in the trumpet family.

The book will serve you well. There is de facto no difference.

8. JTR-606ML

JTR-606ML New Friend

Apr 1, 2009
    Sydney
    thanks for the posts. What would you suggest to use as a beginner?! Which literature?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I suggest the same stuff for beginners and advanced players:
    Arban, Clarke, Irons. Everything that a player REALLY needs is in those books. Other methods offer variations and variety.

10. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Use the book your teacher tells you to use.