H.N. White King Silvertone No.2 - Help!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by KingConn, Dec 14, 2016.

1. KingConn

KingConn New Friend

Dec 14, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Hello Friends,

I have recently acquired a lovely King Silvertone trumpet from about 1937-1938 (based off serial #). I purchased this horn online, which is always a gamble :roll:
    The horn turned out to actually be in fantastic shape with the exception of one major issue a frozen first valve piston and missing bottom cap. Some jerk before my time attacked the valve from the bottom with heck know's what, causing mutilation to the valve casing and threads, and piston itself :x

Considering the great shape otherwise, and absolutely stunning craftsmanship, I have no issue putting good money into getting this ol' beaut back to life for a second chance. My local shop says the piston can be removed, but the previous damage most likely has rendered it useless. Thus, my questions are...

Can one simply replace a singular piston from another King liberty of the same model and vintage?
    Does anybody on here know of a source where I can locate either one or a set of these pistons/parts?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I am new to this online forum stuff, and look forward to becoming apart of the community.
    Thank you for your time and consideration,

-Benjamin

2. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    What you describe is very complex to repair and requires an expert craftsman to replicate parts - parts that must be very precise to play well. There are a number of such folks out there who either do all of it, or sub out parts of the project including Robb Stewart, Rich Ita, Charlie Melk and more - but their services will cost you more than the final horn will be worth as this may require a new casing, certainly involves major work to the old otherwise, fabricating a new piston, and locating the small parts or making them too. A more fiscally sound approach would be to find another Liberty no. 2 that has good valves/slides/etc. and swap the bell onto it. Then sell the brass bell, caps, pistons, receiver, leadpipe, slides, etc. of the wrecked body on EBay to maybe save other damaged horns out there.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. KingConn

KingConn New Friend

Dec 14, 2016
    New Hampshire
    OldSchoolEuph,

Thank you for your considerate response. I feared this would be one of the options.. I hate removing a bell from an intended original instrument, but I also understand the cost of such expertise craftsmanship, that a job like this would require to fix. It just kills me because the horn is in fantastic shape otherwise. I really don't know what kind of devil got into the chap who attacked it the way they did, besides perhaps stubbornness and or pride.

Either way, looks like I'm on the hunt for yet another…. old horn ROFL nothing new there I suppose, we do this for the passion not the money. Again, thank you.

4. Pascalouisiana

Pascalouisiana Mezzo Piano User

Aug 29, 2015
    Abbeville, LA
    KingConn, I'm glad to be the first to tell you :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Even though OldSchoolEuph gave you an excellent advice, I'm sure that other professional techs will chime in to give you some alternatives.
    Keep us posted.

5. KingConn

KingConn New Friend

Dec 14, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Thank you kindly Pascalouisiana!! :D :thumbsup: I'm super stoked to finally communicate with kindred spirits of the like. I have always referenced trumpetmaster threads for related topics, but now I can be apart of them.

Your welcome is much appreciated, and I will certainly keep you guys posted with updates, esp when the King is up and running again

-Benjamin

6. tyleman

tyleman Mezzo Forte User

Jul 20, 2009
    Monpazier, France
    Why not find a parts horn and just replace the whole valve block? I think that's what I would do. There would be a bit of expense involved with the time to unsolder and resolder, but it seems an easier fix, especially since you could get a valve block off a King Liberty. I would certainly contact some of the repairers OldSchoolEuph mentioned and get their opinion. One of them might even have a donor horn.

7. Niner

Niner Forte User

Sep 6, 2011
    Alabama
    So ..how much money do you have in it to start with?