H. N. WHITE KINGS website!

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by kingtrumpetguy, Dec 27, 2005.

1. kingtrumpetguy

kingtrumpetguy New Friend

Apr 11, 2004
    Northeast Ohio
    Greetings,
    The H. N. WHITE KINGS website is up and running. It is updated often as new information is obtained. This website has technical information on H. N. WHITE KING trumpets, cornets, flugelhorns, bugles, and mouthpieces. Questions regarding Vintage Kings will be promptly answered. I hope you enjoy the website. Dave..."Kingtrumpetguy" www.hnwhitekings.com

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Dave,

Welcome to the vintage horns forum . . . a place dedicated to the incredible horns of the past, including H.N. White's wonderful, wonderful horns!

We've alerted our members before, but it is a very great honor to have you logging in again here!!!

I hope you'll visit often and contribute as much as you can.

I love your site and I'm so glad you are posting here now! Don't stay away so long next time. ;-)

Warmest regards,

Tom Turner
    Vintage Horns Forum Moderator

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I am curious to find out. What is serial # of the oldest surviving H.N. White trumpet that you know of?

4. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have been curious about the serial number lists.

I have a King Silver Flair with a serial number that places it very close the the end of the 1965 - 1970 period. Within a thousand numbers from the end of the period. Is there any way to know whether these numbers actually end with the end of the five yeasr interval or is there some amount of overlap into the next series?

In other words, if a horn had serial number 456XXX, was that horn likely to have been made before the end of 1969, or sometime during 1970?

I know it sounds picky, but I have been curious for a while... :-)

5. kingtrumpetguy

Apr 11, 2004
    Northeast Ohio
    Silver Flair serial 456xxx!

Greetings,
    My database indicates that a Silver Flair bearing serial number 456XXX was manufactured in 1970. It does not indicate when in 1970. This serial number was manufactured under King Musical Instruments in Eastlake, Ohio for sure. The last known H.N.White King Silver Flairs bore the serial numbers in the 440000 range. I have a large photo database of Vintage King horns that assits in confirming my serial number database. My database ends at 1986, but with the assistance of Conn-Selmer technical support staff, I am able to confirm serial numbers beyond 1986. Dave...Kingtrumpetguy

6. kingtrumpetguy

Apr 11, 2004
    Northeast Ohio
    Lowest Vintage King trumpet serial number!

Greetings,
    The lowest King trumpet serial number I have photo documentation of is, 11979 on a King Small bore trumpet from 1911. The lowest King cornet serial number I have photo documentation of is, 846 on a King large bore cornet from 1898. Dave...Kingtrumpetguy

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Great site. Thanks for putting it up.

Dave

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Dave,

Glad you posted here. I watch your site and as you can tell by my username I'm partial to the horns. My Coronet and Silverflair are both from the mid 60's Love em, and most likely will never part company with them.

Keep up the good work. Now maybe a King "C" Trumpet to round out my collection :roll:

I'll have to work on that...

9. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    My first Silver Flair was purchased new in February, 1966...don't remember the serial number, but I do remember when I got it.

How I wish I had never sold that one! But, I was fortunate enough to find the one I have today, and it seems to be exactly the same, except about four years newer, but still from the era of "great Flairs."

Question...were there any differences of any kind between the 1966 Silver Flair, and the 1970 model I have today?

The outward appearances are identical; the script "Flair" on the mouthpiece receiver, etc. The case has an H.N. White metal emblem and the handle is plastic with the word KING" in the handle - just like my first Flair.

10. kingtrumpetguy

Apr 11, 2004
    Northeast Ohio
    King Silver Flair production changes!

Greetings,
    There were no production changes during the years of 1964 to 1970. If I look into my database of photos I can tell you when the changes occurred. I usually stop my research at 1965. Edna White continued to work for King Musical Instruments as a consultant after 1965 which kept the production quality intact for several years. In 1969, Edna White passed away. The quality of the instruments manufactured by King Musical Instruments began to decline after 1971. There were several production changes to the Silver Flair model over the years following 1971. Dave...Kingtrumpetguy