H.N. White | Ohio Band Instrument Co. | F.A. Reynolds | Roth

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by contempora, Jun 8, 2005.

1. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    I'm working on resolving a historical tangle in Cleveland regarding the H.N. White, Ohio Band, F.A. Reynolds and possibly Roth Instrument companies from the 1930's and 40's, and hoping someone here can shed some light. What is known:

[1] Chris from hnwhite.com forwarded an intro page from an Ohio Band Instrument Company catalog that introduces Foster A. Reynolds as the head of that brand new company, based in Cleveland. Textual references suggest 1934 or so as a date. The copy appears to be written from a H.N. White insider's voice, suggesting that Ohio Band was an offshoot or subsidiary company focused on dealer sales. Reynolds was at H.N. White for 30 years, finally as GM/VP, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that he was given the opportunity to run "his own" company, along with his brother Harper who was also at King and who would later go with him to F.E. Olds in the late 1940's.

[2] Foster Reynolds went on to form the F.A. Reynolds Company in 1936. It has been suggested that he was chomping to not answer to higher-ups and pursue his own interests. Perhaps life running a subsidiary company was not attractive to him?

[3] March Woodwinds had a "Roth" model trumpet from Ohio Band Instrument Company. Photos here. Date unknown, but the "Roth" model appears again after Scherl & Roth buy the F.A. Reynolds Company in 1946/47.

So... does anyone know anything about the Ohio Band Instrument Company history? I'm guessing that after Scherl & Roth moved to Cleveland in 1938, they bought Ohio Band [from H.N. White? perhaps after White died?] and renamed it the Roth Instrument Company to market student brass/woodwind products in addition to their strings. Then bought and merged with F.A. Reynolds Co. to form the Roth-Reynolds Instrument Company, which lasted until 1961 before selling to RMC.

That's my guess. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who might correct or clarify this historical web. Cleveland must have been a place to be in the first half of the 1900's, along with Elkhart.