Had my first trumpet lesson yesterday

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by The Weez, Jan 29, 2009.

1. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    As many of you know, I'm a comeback player of about 2 months after 9yrs off. I am now officially studying under Don Doncan at Wichita State University. :cool:

We met for a little over and hour yesterday. Went over both of our backgrounds, he talked about his approach, books, etc. that he uses with his students, and I did a little playing for his evaluation.

I think he's going to be a great teacher. Great guy, great player, very enthusiastic about helping me improve my playing. He's also a strong Christian (spend many years in ministry before becoming trumpet professor) so that's a plus for me. :)

He had me pick up a couple books by Max Schlossberg and James Stamp. He also assigned me some parts out of the Clarke's Technical Studies and Arban's books.

I will try to meet with him weekly, although that must not be possible every week.

2. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    CONGRATS!!! Since you mentioned that your teacher has the same background as you it will make things a lot easier all the way around. Having something in common really helps out to "break the ice". I just wish you the best & hope you find all the joy you're seeking!

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wonderful that you found a private teacher you like. I'm really enjoying working with mine too!

4. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Weez,
    I'm excited for ya! I've always wanted to have private lessons when I was younger, but there was never any great teachers availabe in my area. I just kept looking for any info out there that would take me where I wanted to go musically. I ordered Clint "Pops" McLaughlin's series of books a few years ago and that has really helped broaden my chops knowledge. Knowledge is power.
    I wish ya well. Keep us posted on how it's going and what he's gottcha doin'. :thumbsup:

5. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Thanks guys!

He assigned me an etude from Arbans. Something like "The Swallows Will Come," it's on page 193iirc. I can play it very nicely, except that I keep making mistakes!!! I guess that's why I'm taking lessons! :)

I got my Ringmute yesterday. Tried it out on a couple songs for church. One song in particular it sound PERFECT with my selmer C. Can't wait for the performance.