Hakan Hardenberger tonight!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    I'm off to see Hakan Hardenberger tonight! This was most serendipitous: I was looking on the Sydney Conservatorium of Music site about something else and saw a link to Hakan. Then I saw that he was playing at the Con (nickname for Conservatorium of Music) on Wednesday 16 March. This was soon followed by the realisation that that is today!:-o There was a mild panic when I couldn't get a ticket online but a call to the box office secured me a ticket and all is now OK.

This is going to be great. Has anyone else seen Hakan live? He is playing with the Youtube Symphony Orchestra which is funny because my only experience of Hakan Hardenberger is watching him on Youtube! The brass ensemble is made up of members of the Berliner Philharmonik and the Vienna Philharmonic orchestras. My guess is they can play!:play:

Stay tuned and I'll let you know how it goes.

Matt.

PS We're getting some good gigs in Sydney at the moment: James Morrison a few weeks ago, Hakan tonight and Chris Botti in a few months. I'm going to run out of cash at this rate...:shock:

2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Saw him run a master class and perform last year, Hakan taught me the importance of making every note count. He showed me how to hear modern composers and in doing so opened a new world for me.

3. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Should be great!

4. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Not quite what I was hoping for unfortunately. I understood it to be Hakan playing with a brass ensemble. Instead it was a brass ensemble in which Hakan played 'in' for two songs and conducted a third. The one piece that would have been amazing - Music for Five Trumpets by Verve Reynolds -they chose not to do: the intensity of the recent days' rehearsal decidedly taking its toll. Instead, Harkan chose to do a solo piece by Toru Takemitsu (from memory) which, although quite a fitting substitute, as he alluded to, was a bit ecclectic for my 'new to orchestral music' ears. Well, not that new to it but even the French Horn section leader (Sarah Willis) commented that all of the evening's music was 'heavy going' for an audience.
    So, while I was hoping for an intimate concert with Hakan leading a brass ensemble, it was more about the Youtube Symphony Orchestra with the occasional guest appearance by Hakan Hardenberger. Still, there were some mighty fine players there and the concept of what they're doing (auditioning via Youtube, with those selected taken around the world to play in a variety of concert halls under the tuteledge of 'mentor' instrumentalists and guest masters such as Hakan Hardenberger) makes for a very 'international' orchestra and is an interesting contemporary way of creating something musical.
    Sitting only a few rows back, I also got a pretty close-up trumpet experience with Hakan Hardenberger, and that can't be all bad.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Sounds like it was definitely woth it.

6. jongorrie

jongorrie Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Sounds like a good concert though - always something to learn, especially sitting up close!

7. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Absolutely. It's always great to sit and listen to great musicians, trumpet or otherwise, and just soak it up.

8. jsmiley89

jsmiley89 New Friend

Jan 23, 2011
    Iowa
    Man am I jealous! I'm a senior in trumpet performance- only been listening to Hakan for about a year now, but have just recently blown another $60 on his recordings! I love what he can do on the horn- would you be able to give any more specific information on what you gained from his masterclass!?

Believe me, any and all information would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

9. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Hey JSmiley. Which Hakan recordings can you recommend? I know that's subjective but I'm looking to buy one or two of his CDs and would appreciate a recommendation on somewhere to start.

10. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    jsmiley89, pm sent