Haken Hardenberger, is he great or what?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I watched the documentary on him, even downloaded it but of course it's unviewable.

The guy's just amazing, such a beautiful TONE. He can play the simplest thing and his TONE is so beautiful, it sounds beautiful.

Interesting that his early "imprinting" was apparently on jazz, like Louis Armstrong, then he learned classical through learning trumpet.

(In my own case, it's the opposite - my dad played classical and Herb Alpert, and jazz never entered the house, ever. Dad had a fair amount of Telemann records apparently though. Jazz is something I'm just discovering.)

From the movie it seems he can play anything, jazz, classical, he probably has a "gut" feel for old time jazz from growing up hearing it.

That guy is my hero.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Yes.

3. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    "...but of course it's unviewable."

Are you able to download and view YouTube videos? (There's no sense going through the description if you can and it doesn't work on this one.)

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Oh, it was on Google Video. YouTube is the only site that can actually make video work. I was surprised the Google Video worked, only 2 places where it froze up - no it was all loaded, google videos just freeze up - most often you get to watch the first few minutes then that's it. So I felt lucky to get to see the whole thing.

I downloaded it to my computer, and the only option available was for PS2 or Ipod, this being a mac, I thought the iPod video might play, but it does not. I'm not in a position to buy an iPod, so that's that.

Anyway, I am just amazed at Haken's tone, and I read that those valve instruments are harder to play crisply, but he makes it all look so easy. Very very cool.