Half-valve glissandos - posssible on all horns?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 24, 2012.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I've been playing some songs on my Recording which require some smoother glissandos. I've usually done this by slurring through the notes with the valves half-depressed and on my Strad and Destino that was fine, but on my Recording it sounds very strangled; the resistance is much greater and the sound is getting cut off. Is this usual do you know, and is there a way around this?

Thanks,
    --bumblebee

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Experiment with different combinations of valves. Try only valve halfway down, and try each valve. Do a search on the "Sleigh Ride" whinny effect -- lots of suggestions have been posted about how to play that, and some of those suggestions might work for your glisses.

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    It is interesting to watch Miles (on YouTube) perform some of his half valve techniques. Sometimes only one valve (often the first or third) - I can approximate the effect on my '46 Committee, using the same technique. I agree that my Mendez and Super definitely require a different technique than my Strad. Rex Stewart from Duke's band was known for this too. I haven't looked on YouTube but, it might be worth a search. Don't assume all horns will use the same methodology.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My five trumpets all have a different degree of valve depression required to achieve smooth glisses - I'm able to use 2nd valve if I listen, but sometimes 3rd is best if the expression is exposed.

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Using 3rd valve is common, but curiouly it works better for me with 1+2…

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I do all 3 valves starting 3/4 ths depressed and opening up to the note I'm aiming for.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Exactly what I do, except I'm having to work out a different method on the Recording. I can bend notes very easily on the Recording so have been pushing the valves down further in a kind of wave motion bending the notes up then resetting multiple times as I slide through the gliss' range. Getting there!

--bumblebee