Hand Position

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Aug 6, 2008.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

have you been around musicians before?:D

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I guess that we all are VB..Though not my favourite, Gansch horns do have those pinky rings that you dream of....

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Using the finger in the pinky ring will cause you to show a MUCH greater tendency to use too much pressure. If you can use the ring without undue pressure, then fine. My opinion is that it's better not to put it there at all....

4. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    I also heard that the pinkie ring obsures your third fingers ability to press the valve down not that it is hard it just makes it harder.

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Sorry, I had no idea it wouldn't be allowed. The admins can change any word they want into **** and I guess they didn't do it with that one. I didn't mean to offend.

That's kind of what I gathered from Pocius' book. That's why I'm trying the method without using it. I am a comeback player (only back for just over 6 months) and it's a great time to break bad habits. That answers Solar Bell's question too I guess. :)

Now, as for the right thumb. I just couldn't figure out exactly where to put it and what part of it should touch the horn. Can someone pretty please post a pic of an optimial position?

Also does it matter that I have small girl-hands?

6. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    Misty:

edited by Robin

If you look on the first page of the three there's a picture of Claude Gordon's holding/playing position. He's got the left hand as you initially described except his pinky is below the third valve slide instead of up next to his ring finger. I suppose (for him) putting the pinky above tended to pull the bell down so he put it where it felt best for him. As for having the palm of the hand up against the casings; you must have very small hands. For me, if I put my left hand fingers where I want to, my palm curves and no contact can be made with the valve casings. That said, one of the posters mentioned that the specific instrument can also dictate how it is held. I have a Buffet Crampon American that is so cramped and the third slide trigger is placed so oddly that I have to use an entirely different approach. You have to do what you have to do with the instrument and hands you are working with - think about "cradling" the instrument instead of "grasping" at it.

Pinky ring? I was taught to put the pinky on top of the ring. Yeah, right. Just focus on comfortable use of the three fingers you use on the valves. Do curve the palm of your hand (and the fingers will naturally do likewise) so you're well above the valve driving the pistons straight down. If you don't think too much about it your right hand pinky and thumb will automatically go to the position they are most comfortable with (and I think you'll find that to be pretty close to what Pocius describes).

Regards,

Tim Jones

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Just for the record. I don't take myself seriously.
    I don't think I mentioned anything about how the horn has to be held.
    I use two up, two down and the octave key ring above the staff.
    This conversation of holding the horn comes up regularly.

edited by Robin

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Please don't let this thread dissolve into a pissing match. There is good info here, lets not screw it up.

Yes I do have small hands. I'm female and I'm only 4'11". However, I am able to get a good amount of space between my left palm and the valve casing and I like it better this way, after a couple of practice sessions. Before, I would wrap my fingers around the casing completely, and use a 3-up, 1-down finger configuration (yes, I can fit 3 fingers above the third valve slide pretty easily). I like it better the "new" way though.

Thanks for the feedback about the right hand. I'll have to experiment some more with that thumb position. I'm seeing almost universal agreement here about the optimal use of the pinky ring (not much) so I'm going to try to change my ways, and see what happens.

9. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    edited by Robin

10. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    That's enough, y'all.