HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEAN SIBELIUS 1865-1957

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Alex Yates, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
  2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    as i get older i find i like sibelius and nielson much more then mahler and bruckner. i dont know they just seem to speak to me more and better. my wife thinks it is because i have been hanging around all those danes, finns and norwegians up here.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    So wierd... I had a strong urge to listen to Sibelius 2 this morning... I had pulled an all-nighter on a musicoogy paper and I guess was just in the mood for something to keep me awake. But maybe it was the composer reminding me that it was his birthday... wierd...
    -jimi

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The orchestra is on stage for the Sibelius First Symphony. We start. The clarinetist is playing his solo about as well as you have ever heard it. He is a phrasing fool tonight. As he neared the big finish, everyone in the hall is on the edge of their seats. Man, this is music-making at it's highest level. They finally reach the big string tremolo that signals the end of the clarinet solo............OH NO! He played it on wrong clarinet. He was a half step off :-?
    The clarinetist was one of America's great players.
    Stuff Happens!
    Wilmer

5. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    trying to talk community orchestra director into doing sibelius 1,2, or 5. we did 3 a couple years ago it is very different then the others but really nice. it is the beginning of the change in direction of smaller proportions, and more austere then the first two, and a more seamless sense of form that reaches its apex in the 7th (the string players would bitch about doing those and not really sure how well teh 2nd would go over with them)

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    To tell you the truth, Cornetguy, I don't know how well Nielsen is suited for even a good community orchestra.

As you may know, we've done a lot of Nielsen in the past couple of years with Osmo and you should hear our string players complain. I attributed it to the usual grousing that comes with the territiory until I looked at a few parts and I have to admit that I didn't begrudge them the whining for a change. It's hard! I mean, really hard. It's even harder when you have a guy like Osmo who is so demanding.

I go hot and cold with Sibelius, myself. I have enjoyed what I've done with Osmo because, again, he's Finnish and has a way with it that other conductors I've worked with haven't. I think it's special music, as you do, but it requires a special touch to be satisfying.

ML

7. cornetguy

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    we have done nielson 2 and 4. 2 didnt seem too bad for the strings i didnt hear them complain so much, 4 however they really complained about. i would like to do 6 but am not going to ask for it after 4. i think that after doing it 4 is one of those that (although a great piece) for a community group is not worth the effort for the amount of work that we have to put into it, and 6 sounds even harder from listening to my recording of it. (i am in st. paul civic symphony) i did get a look at the viola part for the 4th and i know what you mean it looks like they just printed a black sheet of paper and then took the white out to it. also didn't seem very idiomatic to the viola. i think a lot of our string player got turned off from nielson as a result of doing the 4th which is a shame, but i can understand.

the only sibelius we have done are finlandia, violin concerto and 3rd symphony in 12 seasons.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I love the second. Boy, I'd be really interested to hear what Osmo could pull out of the MO on that one. Every time I listen to them I hear something new in pieces that I've listened to a thousand times. I am honestly beginning to think of Osmo as one of the truly great conductors for his ability to get inside voices to shine the way he does.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    What a great story! Thanks for sharing Wilmer! (I do like that clarinet solo of Sibelius 1)

It reminds me of something that happened during my attendance of a NY Phil concert in 1998 or 99. Masur was conducting and they were performing Shosti 5. It was in the middle of the haunting flute solo and Masur just walked off stage in the middle of it. The orchestra continued playing as long as they could w/o a conductor, but finally fizzled to silence. Masur finally walked back out and requested that all of the folks in the audience coughing and making so much noise leave or cease so the music could continue. It was weird and I felt for the orchestra.....but I also agreed with the point he was trying to make. This was at the beginning of the cell-phone nuisance, I believe. Anyway, it was an unexpected surprise at that particular concert.

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Shame on him for leaving his players out there on the limb.gregc