Happy birthday lee morgan!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LeeMorganFan, Jul 10, 2011.

1. LeeMorganFan

LeeMorganFan New Friend

Apr 7, 2011
    NYC
    Lee Morgan was born July 10th, 1938. He would've been 73 years old today. And although he's been gone for 39 years now, his music and influence still lives on! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE MORGAN!

Does anyone have any stories about Lee Morgan? For those of you fortunate enough to have seen him performing live, could you share your experience of this great, legendary performer? Does anyone remember the first time you heard this magnificent trumpeter? Many thanks!

Roberto

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Each time I (try to) play "Goldie", tears come to my eyes …

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    First and only time : in 1958 or 1959 (I was 14 or 15 years old), in Paris, with Art Blakey, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons, … Can you imagine ? (Thanks to my dad who took me with him to attend some concerts when we went to Paris).
    [And later, in 1960 we went to the French Riviera to see and hear Charles Mingus, Ted Curson, Danny Richmond, Booker Ervin, Eric Dolphy, plus in guest star … Bud Powell : I was 16 only, what an introduction to good music, isn't it ?]

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I never got a chance to see him but the first trumpet recording I bought after beginning the instrument was his "Candy". Great introduction for me to jazz trumpeting. I have many of his CDs now and I noticed that I like the ones where he composed all the songs the best (Sidewinder, Search For the New Land, etc.). He was not only a great trumpeter with an awesome technical ability, but a great writer too.

Happy Birthday Lee!!!

Turtle

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Where are Lee Morgan's fans ? All in vacation ? Maybe too youngs to have seen him live… It's cruel to point out that I'm old! ROFL

6. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Interesting. Two of my good friends have the same birthday as Lee!

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thank you Mr Wise : right in the target !