Happy Halloween- Practiciing Christmas Music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Happy Halloween- Practicing Christmas Music!

Yep, its that time of year when Tim Burton is completely right with his thesis in The Nightmare Before Christmas- especially for trumpeters! So how many of you are already practicing music for Christmas gigs?

Me, for one. :dontknow::evil::play:

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    And writing the music for the various xmas things we need!

3. bydetn18

bydetn18 New Friend

Oct 13, 2012
    Yep, got my big book of christmas songs off the shelf.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Re: Happy Halloween- Practicing Christmas Music!

Yep, whole band practice was new Christmas arrangements last night.

5. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I'm working on Christmas songs with the local quintet and community band, and I'm also getting paid a healthy $200 to play carols at the local church in December, which should be fun! I've never played in a church before or done church functions, so if anyone has any tips please PM me! :-)

6. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Our Christmas sales began the middle of September!

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Preparing a Finale trumpet 4 part quartet arrangement of O Little Town of Bethlehem for the 2nd year beginning boys I'm tutoring on trumpet. Should be fun with 2 bass parts transposed to treble clef. They'll be performing it at the Christmas caroling held here in Jackson at the Courthouse gazebo/bandstand after the churchs let out Christmas Eve. Last year they played a simplified arrangement of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing in unison. This year, they chose the song and agreed to draw straws as to who would play each part.

Last year I played a euphonium solo of Silent Night. This year, I plan to play a euphonium solo of O Come All Ye Faithful. This community favors traditionalism!

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    What is this thing you are calling a "gig"?

9. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Yikes! We just had our fall concert Saturday, and won't start rehersals for the Christmas program until next week. Brass Quintet isn't looking at Christmas yet...We need to get through the feast of Christ the King first!!! Most of the churches around here wait until December to start looking for brass players....silly people. Last Christmas, I had the Methodist Candlelight service/program in the evening, then to my friend's for her annual Christmas Eve party (where I watched a guy actually eat some frankincense or myhrr, I can't remember which), then on to the Catholic church for Midnight Mass.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Play it straight! Not the time to test your improv skills! :D

Improv will also irritate the other players with you, even if you're leading! The "leader" of our Christmas group played/plays so obnoxiously, several players skip playing anymore. Said "leader" was informed by a "little bird" of the situation and became defensive and MORE obnoxious!! "Leader" wouldn't play last year (showed us!!!) and it was just the F horn player and myself on my Conn 12A (looks all Christmasee with a red bow!!). We'll see what happens this year. In other words, DON'T BE A JERK!!! ROFL