Happy Halloween- Practiciing Christmas Music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

What do you mean?? They got 3 weeks!! :roll::roll::roll:ROFLROFLROFL

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While it could be anything, in this musical context it's a time and place where you've a commitment to play your trumpet/cornet or other instrument ... whether you are paid or not.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Ed, I don't call any freebie a gig, although I honor the commitment. If I have said I will do it, I don't back out if a paying gig comes along. I think of non-paying commitments either as a favor or an offering, depending upon the context.

To get back to the OP, most of my Christmas stuff is associated with church stuff. The non-members are paid and members are expected to donate their time. We will not start any of our Christmas rehearsal until after Thanksgiving services since the orchestra is playing in church on Thanksgiving Sunday and a community service the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I will spend a lot more time between rehearsals in preparation than most, which is not the same as saying I need that time more.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Working mainly on Veterans Day concert music right now, with some Christmas music rehearsal interspersed. After 11/11, it's Christmas music rehearsal all the way. I'm also thinking of playing some cornet at a Salvation Army kettle nearby if I can work it in.

5. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Nothing personally in-the-works for Christmas horn-playing. My "church" is called the "Meeting House". Quaker. Silent worship.

When I have been asked to play in churches (all Christian denominations) over the years, I selected one of my French-manufactured C Trumpets. Abundantly "sweet" tone. They seem to be perfectly suited to the acoustics and the literature. PLUS (!) no worries about transposing.

If you have one (C Trumpet), use it. Recommend.

~ r2 ~

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Sorry Ed, I was just trying to make a joke about not knowing what a gig was because I never have any!

7. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    The only gig I will get will be in front of my family (poor unsuspecting relatives that they are). My skills might just about extend to Jingle Bells if I slow it down a bit. If my sons back me up on piano and guitar it will help hide my failings. :shock:

Time to get practicing.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    That, Sir is exactly why it's useful getting into a group early on - and you will be amazed how you lift to the other players - do it soon, as adult players we are too critical of ourselves and we're usually better than we imagine ourselves to be - as much as you need others, they need YOUR correct notes too.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If so, it would rip your mind apart to hear my "harness bell" multi-brass version (no bells of any kind were used, but they are present ... wow are they present) or me sing:
    You've all heard I'm sure
    Of Santa and his sleigh,
    And how he brings the presents
    To us on Christmas day.

But I don't think you know
    And now I will explain,
    About The Merry Christmas day
    That Santa came by train ....

The foregoing are partial lyrics my late brother Bill wrote in 1951 as is sung to Rev. James Pierpont's song the public named Jingle Bells but was originally titled Dashing Through The Snow.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Re: Happy Halloween- Practicing Christmas Music!

What kind of CRAZY band does everyone play in that PRACTICES their Christmas music??? ---- we got this young kid (Geoff Gallante) coming for the Veteran's day concert -- so we are concentrating on that in community band. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!! we have a Christmas Parade of lights on November 24 ---- our band will be playing Christmas music ----- I GOT A HOLD of the music (that hopefully we will be playing on that night) -- apparently no one knows for sure -- but what the Hey, I am bringing the trombone and can't read the music anyhow if it is something different
    JUST CRAZY FOR YOU GUYS IN BANDS to practice the music and be prepared ---- I mean really, is that how people run a band??? ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012