Happy Halloween- Practiciing Christmas Music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As a joke it was kind of lame IMO, but there are some youngins reading that perhaps don't know what a "gig" is.

I told the young boys I'm tutoring.

But reading all the horns you have, if you are in good health and can play them well IMO you've no excuse unless you just don't want to ... and if that be so, don't complain that you haven't any gigs. That USMC Kanstul G Soprano bugle is a waste if you're not sounding TAPS with it. Send it to me and I'll give it to some USMC League buddies I have who would use it to sound TAPS. My 84 year old brother still fires volleys with the league in WI on the Garand I gave him. I gave him the bayonet replete with USMC scabbard too.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Re: Happy Halloween- Practicing Christmas Music!

That's an example of sarcasm isn't it KT? Nice one my friend. :lol:

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The way I see it, is that any song I play on Christmas is a Christmas song. So I guess I am practicing them every day.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My quintet is playing a gig in December in Pittsburgh at Little E's. We will play a couple of arrangements I have written... All Jingle Bells Blues (Jingle Bells played to Miles Davis's All Blue). I also love playing "I'll be Home for Christmas" with the changes to Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Triste".

5. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Yep, been there, done that. Perhaps the most offensive and unpleasant part of the music world is the egos. I try and leave mine at the door.

I had one 'director' who took it one step further:

Him, on 11/1/11: "You're going to be playing the lead in this part. Let's be prepared for it next week"
    Him, on 11/8/11: "That sounds great! Do that on Christmas Eve and you'll be all set!"

(several practices ensue, as I sharpen the corners of the solo...)

Him on 12/24/11: "All set?" and the piece starts.

Along around the second verse, where my solo is to begin, he sidles over, sax in hand, and says 'I'm gonna take it"... and proceeds to deliver the most obnoxious, unintonated riff of unamalgamated and unrelated notes. It was clear that 'passion' (ego) took over and he was ill-prepared and sacrificed the entire song (and perhaps the concert itself, as it was only the second song in a 1-1/2 to 2 hour show.). There was no comment from him afterwards whatsoever.

I packed up and left afterwards; I'd had enough after having been there 2 years. I never went back.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

yes, Ted, a little sarcasm -- but I am really not sure if the music I got for the trombone is the correct music for the parade (a parade in like 20 days) -- and everyone I ask -- says "yeah, I am not sure what music we are doing for the parade, someone will let you know".
    NOW -- I noticed last night we have another concert called Sparkle -- a week or so after the parade (I've inquired what music we will be having for that, or how long our concert is ---and NO REPLIES YET!!! -- seems our conductor went on a cruise this week -- and nobody else has a clue!!! uhhggg!!! uhhggg!!! uhhggg!!!!

I can sight read the trumpet OK -- I just like to be prepared that's all ---- now the trom, well that's a different story!!!!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Seems to me like there is a harsh lesson coming for your conductor in the near future.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

after asking around to the people in control, or in the know ---- I just got a list in my email of the songs ---- NOW, I just don't know where the books are, they aren't in my current music folder!! -- but we are getting closer to being organized!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Believe it or not, there's not a lot of difference with how you play in a church than how you play almost anywhere else. After all, the roots of many types of music came from just that place. It depends on the type of setting it is, formal, casual, highly formal, extremely casual. Like that. Find out ahead of time if you possibly can. That would be a great benefit.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

KT, I'm still on your case about your saying you're not able to read the bass clef with a tenor trombone ... so let me say it this way: Just move the names of the notes in the treble clef respectively down a line or space ... as an example the third line B in the treble clef would become a B on the second line in the bass clef ... and so forth for all the other notes. Too, you may wish to Google "Trombone slide positions" and get the Conn-Selmer chart.