Happy Halloween- Practiciing Christmas Music!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While true improvisation is extemporaneous, it helps a lot when other players know the notes you are about to play and when you're going to play them. I suppose it could be that someone would even harmonize with your improve. Now if I could only improv like Al Hirt ...

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Re: Happy Halloween- Practicing Christmas Music!

KT, this may help ....... Google Image Result for http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/faq_images/slidechart_01.jpg

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's unfortunate! I would have pretended to have not heard or misunderstood him. Any trumpet should be able to lay waste to an un-miked sax. Ego's are bad enough, but when the talent level falls below the ego level, that's when the audience/congregation suffers.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

I got the charts -- and the Rubank Elementary books and such --- it's a matter of reading the Bass clef, remembering the notes vs slide positions ---- I mean after playing the trumpet for most of my life --------------------- taking up the trombone in January, is rather like learning a whole new instrument!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

.... and that's what, irony?

Mate, you're on a roll today.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I believe many of the members of my high school band, including me, enjoyed playing at the Salvation Army big cast iron kettle in front of the Post Office during the holidays preceeding Christmas. It was cold, and many shoppers brought us hot chocolates to warm us up.

Well you know what has happened to Christmas on government property except in DC. Too, the SA kettles are now little 2 quart cans and many stores now don't allow an SA kettle collection at their doors and moreso no Christmas music. To me it's not ... beginning to look a lot like Christmas that Meridith Willson composed the song about when one can't hear Christmas music in public anymore. When was the last time Christmas carolers came by your house on Christmas Eve?

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    hey didn't Meredith Wilson write "76 trombones in the Big Parade" --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yes, he also composed the music for the musical Music Man in which 76 Trombones was the theme song. Too, he played flute and piccolo in Sousa's second commercial band going on to play with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra and then hosted a radio show for music with guest musicians.

I will say that 3 of the five active businesses in Jackson decorate their stores for the Christmas holiday and 1 of these 5 play Christmas music on their background audio. However, the Town of Jackson NC strings lights in the many crepe myrtle trees that border the main thoroughfare through town, Jefferson Street aka U.S. 158.

9. Eswany33

Eswany33 New Friend

Aug 22, 2012
    North Carolina, USA
    I had to transition from Halloween music to Christmas music last week because our marching band show this year was "The Music of Danny Elfman." Really cool show, but I am really looking forward to playing some christmas stuff at church and around town.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Now here's a young person, (sorry, I can't tell your gender) that can actually read the original subject and post a related subject. Congratulations are in order here.
    Thank you very much for righting the ship here.
    This does not excuse me, of course, nor my many friends of many infractions in the area of going off thread..........:roll: