Happy, happy, happy, happy, happy...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AamirH, Oct 13, 2007.

1. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    My continuous practice has payed off! I had been practicing long range with good tone for over 2 weeks now and I finally completed Fanfare For The Common Man by myself in clear tone. :lol: I can play all the way up to a high C (2 ledger lines above the staff) in a nice clear tone.
    I just needed to rant out my happiness, cause 2 weeks ago I would have trouble with an E (INSIDE THE STAFF!)

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Congratulations! Don't forget though, that "perfect practice makes perfect." Good job on practicing the right stuff with the right attitude!

Have fun!

3. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    That's pretty cool, isn't the fanfare great?

For the benefit of some of us range challenged trumpet players, could you elaborate on the routine you used to increase your range by a sixth in two weeks? I'm always up for suggestions for solidifying my upper register.

Stuart

4. katrin4p

katrin4p New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    *removed by user*

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. AamirH

AamirH New Friend

Oct 7, 2007
    Of course guys!

Well my daily exercise would be to start from a low F#/Gb (2 ledger lines below the staff) and then slur all the way up to a C (Inside the staff), by semitones. I would repeat that 4 or 5 times until I think I am warmed up. Then I repeat it tongued. I try to keep the notes as short and powerful as possible. After that, I start on the C and go 5 semitones up. so:
    C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E (quarter notes)
    If I play this phrase full and without any broken tones and will full air, I move on the the C#/Db and go again 5 semitones up:
    C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F
    However, if I fail to play with a full clear sound, I start again from the C.

Lately, I have been just practicing chromatic scales starting from the C, and see how high I can go. I kept practicing this over and over yesterday and eventually could hit the high C with a lot less strain and pressure. And it felt great!

Another exercise I like to so is simply play open notes starting from the low C:
    C, G, C, E, G, C (and back down)
    and repeat.

For all these exercises make SURE you use A LOT of air.

Hope this helps!

Aamir

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  6. katrin4p

katrin4p New Friend

Oct 5, 2007
    *removed by user*

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AamirH,
    it is cool that after 2 weeks you can report some success. 2 weeks has NOTHING to do with any solid habits however. What you have can be wiped out by 2 days of carelessness! Carelessness can be as simple as wasting yourself by playing that fanfare too often!
    Keep that routine up if it works. After a year or two, you will be sufficiently reprogrammed for longer term success!

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It is refreshing to get a post on results that was the fruit of work instead of "this or that mouthpiece or horn" Good job!

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Very well said, John.

OLDLOU>>

10. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Bravo, Lou!