Happy New Year to all of our instrument craftsmen

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bandman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I’d like to say Happy and Prosperous New Year to all of the fine craftsmen who are designing and making the beautiful instruments we play. I remember that as a kid I thought my Bach Strad was as good as it could get. You great folks refused to allow things to stay status quo and you continue to make instruments that play better and feel better. That is something that I thought was almost impossible.

Young musicians today have no idea how lucky they are. They don’t have 3 or 4 great designers to choose from, but instead have maybe as many as 20, with as many as 100 different high quality models to choose from. The only hard thing for them is being exposed to the great instruments available, and of course the challenge of making the choices that are right for them.

I hope that all of our instrument makers have the best year ever!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Good idea!

My personal thanks to:

Roy Lawler of Lawler Trumpets

and

Gary Radke of GR Technologies
    [​IMG]

-cw-

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Great post Bandman. I second that.

And you are correct about our "good old days". The Bach's were the best avaialable. I do remember playing some sweet Selmers too, but the Bach's were the "golden ring"!

I don't want to start anything... really... but this is a great time to remind everyone to please be more open minded... cautious, yes... but more open more minded to those trumpet craftsman that are pushing the envelope. In the last few years I've heard some harsh things being said... one friend even went as far as to say "they aren't trumpets anymore"... and that is just plain ignorance and close mindedness.

I too salute all you craftsman that inspire to make "the wheel just a little rounder!"

NICE Chuck.... is that your baby? That brushed gold is just simply beautiful and elegant!

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'd like to send out props to the fine folk at Getzen who built one "heck-of-a" cornet some 30+ years ago as well as to my Irish/English buddy, Leigh McK. (who will once again turn the trumpet forums on their collective ears with his contest). I'd also be remiss not to mention those "Chicago elves" at Schilke too. It's really neat to see some "factory horns" (Schilke and Getzen) maintaining their quality and not falling prey to the "more is better" approach to business success.

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    HERE HERE! I'll buy a round of warm beer to that!

God knows by the time those two factories finish pouring (due to location) - the beer will be cold anyway! :lol:

6. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    Thank you To Everybody at Getzen!!!

I am grateful they still go by "Quality, not quantity"

(By the way, if you cant tell i love getzen products from my avatar, you should be ashamed)

Also, thanks to Marcikiewicz corp. for creating great mouthpieces for as long as I can remember