Hard Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TheBaker, Mar 28, 2007.

1. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Re: Hard Valves & Springs

Hmmmmm. They didn't teach me that "springs aren't springs" in Theory of Elasticity. And then there is Minor's rule of cumulative damage. Some thing far out of reach of the most casual observer.

2. bilboboone

bilboboone New Friend

Mar 13, 2007
    Springfield, MO
    If they move freely but are just hard to press down I doubt corrosion or grime is the problem otherwise they wouldn't move freely, they would move stickily and intermittently but not freely. Now maybe they don't actually move freely, I haven't looked at the horn in question, but it sounds like someone put in new springs and didn't use the proper spings when replacing the old ones. They may be too long, too high tension, too thick of gauge, or too tightly wound. Not all trumpet springs are the same ladies and gentlemen and they are not universal.

Boone

3. TheBaker

TheBaker New Friend

Mar 28, 2007
    United Kingdom
    How long should the springs be roughly? These ones are just under twice the length of the spring casing.

4. bilboboone

bilboboone New Friend

Mar 13, 2007
    Springfield, MO
    There is no set rule on how long they should be but twice the length is too long. Those are not the factory springs, they are replacements installed by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

Your best bet is to take it to a reputable tech and have them check it out. New springs should be pretty cheap and they can diagnose the horn much better than I can from the States over the internet.

Boone