Harmon Mute Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by guadarrama, Aug 14, 2012.

1. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    So i got a hold of an old copper harmon mute. It belonged to my friends grandpa. His grandmother had given me a couple mutes and a trumpet when he passed away. I have had it for a couple of years and its in ok shape considering its age. I just need to re apply new cork. I know where to buy the cork just my question is what type of glue do i use? And any additional tips on re corking a harmon mute. Thanks guys!

2. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I just used normal UHU household glue when I did mine. Worked fine.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    When I recorked my Harmon a few years ago, I used a sheet of paper to build a template and then cut the cork a little bigger. After several dry fittings and trimmings, it fit well and didn't have a seam at all.
    Contact cement works incredibly well and is what most professional techs use.

4. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Yes..thinking about it, the professionals probably don't use household glue!

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    We use contact cement. Here is a template to cut the cork to. Cut one out of paper first to get an exact pattern for your cork. Bevel one end of the cork to run the other end up on rather than just leaving a butt joint.
    [​IMG]

gmonady likes this.
  6. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    To continue this thread's theme (I don't intend this to be a hijack), anyone know how to remove nasty dents in harmon mutes? Particularly bubble harmon mutes?

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    leave the dents alone, they add character.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    We were told to put dents into harmon mutes to make them play better.

9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I have used paper thin double sided tape to stick cork on mutes . It stays well, but can be peeled off if you ever need to put new cork on again. I peel the paper off one side of the double sided tape and stick it to the cork. I cut the cork to size and pull the other side of the paper off and stick it to the mute. The wife never says “What’s that smell”. Thanks for the template Ivan. That will save us some time.
    You can round off the end of a wooden dowel reach through the open end of the mute to push dents out. It works better if you have a shot or sand bag to push against instead of a hard surface.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Gorilla Glue works best for my cork repairs. The glue slop actually provides more grip from my experience (as long is it does not extend beyond the cork surface in which case a good hard fingernail will do the trick).