Harmon Mute Repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by guadarrama, Aug 14, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ivan, what thickness do you recommend for the cork. Not that I need it at this time, but my 40+ year old Harmon [and has the character dents to prove it] has had so many repairs, that it may just need a re-corking. The newer (undented and pristine) Harmons just don't have the same sound as the old guys!

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Can't presently affirm how convenient they would be to aquire today, but very nice shot bags were/are used by architects/structural engineers/planners/and ship navigators to hold plans and maps that had been rolled flat. I've an antique dove tailed wooden box that contains 16 of them, the bag itself made of soft leather. Don't know what the bags are filled with, but they weigh about 5 pounds. Just so happens I'm currently using some of them to hold down a set of plans.

Always heard many proclaim a copper mute has better sound than an aluminum one, but with either I would think dents could be pulled with a strong vacuum tip wheras both metals are malleable. As for a dent, it is just a thought that if accurately done, one could tune a mute to whatever is preferred ... comparable to tuning a steel drum. As I've said many times before, I don't like mutes but will use them when the music or conductor tells me to, or my Yamaha Silent Brass mute when didturbance of others is a factor.

3. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    for solo work the bubble mutes sound great but for section work it seems the "standard" aluminum Harmon brand seems to be the ticket.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    1/16" thick normally does the trick. Sand it down if possible to fit the profile of your bell.

5. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Thank you for your tips and templetes im definitely going to use this!

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Thanks for your responses guys they were all helpful!

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    All done?

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Someone once told me that the best way to make a Harmon sound better is to throw it at the ground.

9. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Or drop it into the gutter!

10. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    ?