Harmon mute stem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deepthought4200, Jun 20, 2008.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I have no idea where my harmon stem even is.

Michael McLaughlin

2. BEKanak

BEKanak New Friend

Jun 19, 2008
    Chicago Burbs
    I put a little anhydrous lanolin on it. Stays put and slides smoothly. Use the same stuff on my tuning and 2nd valve slide. 3 ou. jar has lasted about 20 years.

3. geoT

geoT New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    nashville, tn. usa
    If you throw your stem away, you're robbing yourself of one more color you can call on. Also, over the years I've had many parts notated in the way that Mr. Wise suggests, in many different contexts. I love, and have often recorded harmon solos with the stemless Miles sound which we all love, but take a listen to the many solos and fills played by the great Sweets Edison on Basie and Sinatra cuts. Very often ( not always, but often) he used harmon with the stem in and extented - a very classic 40's sound. Save that stem !
    George Tidwell

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In "pops" writing for symphony orchestra the "+ 0" notation is common enough, although I have no idea what the violists do with it!

And, uhh, without a stem, how could it be called a "wah-wah mute?"

5. geoT

geoT New Friend

Jan 21, 2004
    nashville, tn. usa
    Another nice harmon sound, though a little off topic since it doesn't involve the stem, is to use the stemless mute with a plunger ( obviously with a mic if possible) . It's a nice different, cool sound. Sorry to veer a bit... george tidwell

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008