Harmon Mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, May 23, 2011.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    How many of you have run into loosing your low note centers on a harmon with the stem removed ? I find that most people I talk to have this same concern. Not that I use a harmon a whole lot but it sure would be nice if someone engineered this problem out of a harmon.
    Does anyone have a harmon mute they really like. I've gone through a few of them and can't seem to find one out there that allows you to play low and keep your notes centered with the stem removed from the mute. With the stem in it's no problem. I have found that a few of them will not take you as sharp as others, although they all seem to take away note centers starting at ohhhhhh lets say an e or f in the bottom of the staff. I just got done with "Chicago the musical" and did a lot of muting, with the harmon being the main mute. It called for a few solos with the stem removed and to avoid lack of center I played it up an octave, as we were recording and I didn't want to have un-centered notes hanging out there !

2. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    The Bubble Mute by Jo Ral is their version of the Harmon. I've never had any centering problems with mine and I think it sounds great low, even down to F#.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Thanks Mr. Explorer, I've never tried this brand. Looks like it's time to try one !

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The Humes and Berg bubble mute is also quite nice and worth a try. Well, all of their Harmon-type mutes are. :-) But their new bubble sounds great and plays in tune.

Tom

5. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2009
    Colorado Springs

Hmm. I didn't know H&B had a bubble mute. I was never a fan of their Wah-Wah Du-All Harmon style mute, but a bubble from them would be interesting...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you remove the stem, the focus will go away. That fuzziness is part of the harmon experience.

7. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Try the Denis Wick one. The best I have ever used.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I wanted to say the same thing but waited to see other players opinions. I've got Jo-Ral's copper bubble mute and would say that without the stem the focus and the intonation is not as good as I would like to, especially in the low register. I don't know if I am to call this slotting or ...anyway, hope the resident engineer police won't arrest me :-?

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I handed mine to Nick Drozdoff and after he played it, he bought one.

So it's worth taking a look at, if nothing else.

Tom

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I found too find it easy to loose the lower notes on the harmon, but love the sound so much, I do not want to substitute. I have also found that by relaxing the lower lip, the lower notes (down to F# 1,2,3 valves) comes back. I really have no need to play lower than the F# even without the harmon.