Harmon Mutes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, May 23, 2011.

1. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    +1 on the bubble mute, intonation seems to be more consistent and the sound has a little more "edge" or clarity, I had a Dennis Wick copper mute (was stolen) but the silly thing would fall out at inopportune moments, and playing with one hand got tiring after a while.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The H&B WW-Du-All has been good to me, and I have a new H&B Bubble as well, plays great. I have a Jo-ral as well that plays well, so this is aligned with the opinions above. I have a couple of others as well (LeBlanc, Harmon and no-names), but only have problems with the nonames. Some are beat up abit to get a better sound.

Lesson: go for a quality product. :duh:

Harmons do not fall out if they get a lick and a twist. :twisted: I use my mutes on all my trumpets (different bells sizes, and have not had one fall out since my teens when a pro teacher showed me how to put them in to stop them falling out.:oops:

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I absolutely hate playing harmon mutes but I am with Robin on this one... I think if you make it easy to play well you lose that certain sound ... since the horn won't center the volume bounces around and I believe the pitch has an out of tune sort of beat going on.. and I don't think they were meant to be played loud... IMHO

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Takes a lick'n and it keeps on tick'n. The lick will also last you through the entire song. Then the next song, lick again.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't have these problems with my Harmon mute. The stem got tossed and I haven't seen it since I bought the thing. It sounds better in some trumpets than others, but I don't have any trouble with notes down to F#. They center and they sound like a Harmon.:dontknow:

I use it a lot, it's my basic practice mute. I do have to pull my tuning slide about double what it normally is to find the best spot. I think that's crucial. If you don't pull the tuning slide, they are atrocious (sp?) to use. That perfect tuning spot has been carefully measured with a penny .... It's a very small sweep spot, the same on all my trumpets.

Turtle

6. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Quite familiar w/lick'n'stick (been using a Harmon since the early '60's), but the heavy copper mute really didn't like my french Besson. Didn't have the same problem with lighter Harmons, and have not had a problem with the bubble

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I like the Harmon mute because those other brands don't sound the same ..... The Harmon is the one I'm used to hearing in CD recordings I have. Any doubts that a Harmon mute can be centered and played in tune are dispelled by listening to recordings of Miles or Dizzy.

Turtle

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    TJ,

Don't get me wrong, the Bubble mute by Jo-Rall are OK, and can be played in tune...unless you want to blast low f# all the night ROFL And yes, the sound is different, but I like it so much. The higher I go, the less I feel that fuzziness that Robin was talking about.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I play a copper Harmon so its darker than the aluminum ones I've played. I do have to adjust for tuning. It's nice and mellow, dark and fuzzy, all at the same time. :cool:

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Personal taste rules!

I'm not saying they're easy to play in tune .... holy cow! The weird thing is, with my old 1924 Martin, which has huge slots and is hard to play in tune just by itself, is easier to play in tune with the Harmon mute in. All my other trumpets are much harder (to get in tune). It's the damn fuzziness (that I love so much) that makes it hard to hear if it's in tune or not.:lol:

Turtle

I have a used Harmon copper mute that is absolutely bizarre in the lower register, but it's missing half it's cork and what's left has (obviously) been sculpted, for what reason I have no idea. There's no seal at all ...... odd.