Harmonic between G and C

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Conn-solation, Dec 27, 2012.

1. oljackboy

oljackboy Pianissimo User

Feb 26, 2009
    Falls Church, Virginia
    The trumpet plays a harmonic series, just exactly like a bugle. Starting on C on the ledger line below the staff, the series will sound as C, G, C, E, G, Bb, C, D, E with none of the valves depressed. If you depress the second valve, the trumpet will sound the exact same series one half-step lower. If you depress the first valve, one whole step lower. If you depress the third valve, one and a half-steps lower. Each valve opens up a length of tubing that is added to the length of the bugle, thus lowering the pitch. This is why depressing the first and second valves together works more or less the same as depressing the third valve. The whole thing is a little depressing, come to think of it.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    As VB puts it, practice lip slurs where you skip a partial between two pitches. When you can slur from C below the staff to third space C without the G popping in, you will be able to do the higher one better. Your chops need to be vibrating for the pitch you want to play, so rather than letting the horn decide the pitch your chops do it. You might try some mouthpiece buzzing of the same slur interval ( OK, watch out, here comes the flack!)

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't know about that. I was a math major in college, but if I tried to teach a cat calculus, I think I'd be fitted for a white jacket that wouldn't be formal wear.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    do the C-G-C and octave lower -- then use your "air" for the octave higher --- I tried it last night (even after having the flu this week and not playing for a few days) ----- and you just need to use air -----------------I know, that is frustrating when you hear this from someone who can do it, but you got to reach down inside, firm up the abs, and get some air and support there. Might want to try that on the low G, C, G (below the staff, then the C-G-C in the staffe for comparison) --- to get the feeling of the lips down (that is a little touchier-- IMHO, but it is the same "feeling" ---- the lips vibrate, more air, faster air, whatever you call it --- you need air support for the upper ----------------and the RIGHT FEELING to hit them ok ----------------------------------again, I know it is hard to explain, when it is difficult for you to do it ---but that is how I can explain

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Much much harder when you've COPD. I now don't try to slur up above the staff unless it's written in ink for normal Bb trumpet on the music I'm playing. If it is there, my Schilke P5-4 gets it done.

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I would think mouthpiece buzzing these intervals, even in a lower range would be helpful----getting a sharp "stair step" change between notes instead of a "glissando".

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you're a good buzzer, any buzzing you do is helpful ... but the sound is horrible (my wife tells me).

8. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    Well when I asked the question, I had no idea - or had forgotten- that there was an extra 'natural' harmonic in that range of the trumpet.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas on overcoming the 'problem' gliss note...

9. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have a cat right here but it's 30 years since I've done any calculus and I can't remember how it goes.
    The cat doesn't look too disappointed but it's hard to tell with cats.
    Do you think it would help if I try the other cat?

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I wouldn't waste my time. My Border Collie handles the calculus ok if I manage to frame the problem correctly, but the cats are too lazy and just leave it to the dog. Then again, the cats will stick around when I'm practicing trumpet (treating me with the disdain I deserve), but the dog disappears post haste.