Harp & Trumpet Music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Emile

Emile New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    Amsterdam
    I have all the recordings and sheet music I listed. I have played some of the trumpet and harp pieces. None of the trumpet/harp/string pieces yet...

But as most of the pieces are in composer handwriting, without trumpet part, I am still working on putting everything in the computer, to make it more legible.

The downside to this ensemble (trumpet+harp) is that most pieces are very hard to find. The upside is that composers are very happy to give the pieces to you as their music isn't performed very often.

Stan Friedman told me that he had never heard his Sonatine for trumpet and harp performed!

Also, when you find someone who knows something, be sure to ask if they know anything else.

And off course: you can transcribe anything you like yourself. Most piano-parts can be played on harp, you just have to be carefull if it's to chromatic.

2. Emile

Emile New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    Amsterdam
    J.M. Damase: Adage (you should have no trouble ordering this one) This is a really nice piece, not too difficult.

F. Hidas: Only Two, also a very nice piece. Not published. I can send you a copy or a Finale file if you like.

S. Friedman: Sonatine, trumpet part is quite difficult, harp part not so. It is a more modern style, comparable to Friedmans Solus. It is published and easily available.

R. Peaslee: Nightsongs, great piece for trumpet & flugelhorn (one player), harp and strings. It is recorded several times with piano accompagniment (Roger Webster, Jim Thompson, Yutaka Tobe) and once with harp/strings accompagniment (Philip Smith). All the recordings show that everyone likes this piece. It is readily available. Try http://www.sheetmusicservice.com for the harp/strings version.

L. Dubrovay: Valse triste et tres vite, really great piece but it requires a very virtuoso trumpet player. You should really hear the recording of this one.

M. Rauchverger: Meditation, nice piece, a bit taxing on endurance for the trumpet. This one is published and readily available.

M.J. Van Appledorn: Rhapsody, nice piece but a lot of high D's for C trumpet, which can be a problem :wink: It is published (Arsis Press) but can be a problem to order.

O. Bohme: Souvenir de St. Petersbourgh, I haven't played it yet, but it looks very playable and easy-listening. Published and easy to order.

All of the Hungarian trumpet/harp pieces are very good, and generally very playable. None of them are published except M. Maros: Lyria. You can order this one for copy costs only from www.mic.stim.se

Some of the other pieces I have not listed above can be quite modern/experimental and very very difficult.

I hope this helps a bit,

PS.: Do you have Java-script enabled? I am a bit confused that you can't operate the buttons...

3. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    This is really great Emile!!

Again, how did you get into trumpet and harp music? Your wife plays the harp? :D

The buttons on the left side of your screen work fine for me but the ones at the top do not. Maybe you could send me a link to all the buttons and that may answer my question about your background.

I would like to contact you via private e-mail to talk and learn some more about this if you don't mind.

One thing which I would like your opinion on is what type of trumpet and with what type of sound do you think fits best playing with a harp?

Do you know of others like yourself who specialize in trumpet/harp music?

Thanks so much.

Liad Bar-EL

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I have been interested in the combination of Trumpet and Harp since I took a semester of Harp lessons just for the heck of it to learn about this amazing instrument. One of the projects was to do an arrangement using harp so I did a little thing with Silent Night using piccolo trumpet and harp. Learned quite a bit about playing the harp and writing for it.

Gyorgy Geiger has a CD under the Hugaroton Label of Classical Gems On Trumpet and Harp. Very nice recording! While they are arrangements and not original compositions I feel they are worth looking into if one is interested. Not sure where to get the actual sheet music however.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Liad...we found the horn and harp music we were looking for: a Mr. Ulrich Kobl (http://www.koebl.de) has it. (Dauprat's sonata in FM pour Cor et Harpe).

The man has a really good website with an extensive list of titles (but I haven't found any trumpet and harp yet..still looking). Good delivery too...two weeks to Canada and "pay upon receipt"! 12 Euros for postage though....yeeesh!!!

Hey...how about a forum or place to post websites from which to purchase music? Nothing more frustrating than looking for "that special" bit of music and not hitting the European locations with search engines designed for English language websites! I'd tend to think that students looking for graduation recital pieces or pros needing something special could use a list of decent suppliers of legal music.

6. AlfaFreak

AlfaFreak New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi guys, new to this board, so I'll share what I know.

I too discovered the Gyorgy Geiger recordings whilst still studying. From the moment I heard this trumpet and harp combination I feel in love with the sound. I instantly started making plans to blow my final year recital examiners away with one of the pieces of this disc. After much searching with help from my teacher (former husband of the harpist with New Zealand Symphony) we found that due to the political structure of Hungary, these pieces are all apparently "owned by the state". Not by any publishing houses.

I would love to get my hands onto any other trumpet harp charts also.

Hope this helps your search. Got any Hungarian speaking friends?

7. Emile

Emile New Friend

Nov 20, 2003
    Amsterdam
    Mate Hollos, one of the composers on the disc is also the head of the Hungaroton recording label. He was kind enough to copy all the music and send it to me, free of charge!

I have a list of these pieces and many others I found up on my website: http://www.emilemeuffels.com

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The Geocities ISP is now defunct and no longer available according to Yahoo (at least where I am).