Harrelson bottom caps

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrizzone, Oct 20, 2013.

1. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Hello! I'm intrigued with the Harrelson bottom caps. I see Wynton Marsalis and Arturo Sandoval playing with large botton caps. What's the difference in feel with standard bottom caps? Looks interesting but are expensive for a blind purchase. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    The large or heavy bottom caps are supposed to dampen certain vibrations. If you feel carefully with the fingers of your left hand as you hold around the valve block, you may be able to detect a vibration on one valve casing on one note, and a different valve on a different note. The most easily felt ones are on the third valve, followed by the first valve. It is a matter of preference as to whether you need or want the heavy caps, but they come in different styles:
    Wood_L.jpg

3. mrizzone

mrizzone Pianissimo User

Jul 14, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Interesting! Thanks.

4. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    straight from Jason's website:
    Q: Which weight should I order?
    A: Each size has unique advantages

Light - loose attacks, more feedback to the player
    Medium - balanced weight and efficiency, improved flexibility, solid attacks and slurs
    Heavy - very efficient, crisp attacks at all dynamics, extreme flexibility, less feedback to player

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    .... and of course they are manufactured to match the instrument to which they are fitted, for best results.

6. robeebee

robeebee Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I've got a Harrelson trim kit on my horn, 3 quarter inch bottom caps

Being a heavy Trumpet already, you have to get used to less feedback

But it projects better,

Takes a bit of getting used to

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    You might want to try adding some weight to the bottom valve caps before stumping up the cash for a set of heavyweight caps. The effect will vary from horn to horn and even more the effects liked/not liked by different players.
    My Carol Legend came with both light (normal looking to me) and heavy top and bottom caps and buttons. With the top caps, slotting above the staff is quite tight. I like to be able to slide around with the stuff I play with this born so I leave the light caps on. My brother from whom I bought the horn, similar level player, liked the heavy caps. Your mileage will vary.