Harrelson Bravura Demo - Need some help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Aug 17, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    So, I signed up to get on the list for the Harrelson Bravura demo horn. It came in this past Saturday. I really like the way this horn plays, the tone is much darker and colorful than my Yamaha, everyone has noticed that right off the bat. It plays much easier and doesn't require as much effort to project well. The only problem I have is that it is definitely harder for me to play in my upper register, which should definitely not be the case. I do notice that the mark on my mouthpiece from where it sits in my Yamaha sticks out about .3 mm. Could that be the issue? It came w. 4 diff lead pipes: 4, 5, 6, and 9. I can't tell that the 3 diff. weights of bottom valve caps make much difference, and there is a semi round tuning slide that should be here in the mail today. So I still have some experimentation to do, but just wanted to get opinions to see what it could be. I normally play on a YTR2335 if that helps any at all.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Maybe call Jason.....:dontknow:

3. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Yeah, I realize that's the obvious solution, but from what I've read on here and Trumpet Herald, I know he's super super busy and didn't want to really hassle him. I thought I'd try here first and see if anyone else has experienced this and could offer some help and I'd call Jason as a last resort.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If anything, the added gap should aid slotting at the expense of the lower register. I'd suggest getting some added some competent ears a distance away (heck, go to a park and scare some people!) and compare trumpets to see if the upper register is so well projected that you don't notice at your end of the bell. It could be that the added work is simply your effort to create the same "zing" in your ears.

Then, when you do call Jason, he should be impressed with your efforts.

Please let us know more!

(p.s. I've done this kind of thing before and never been arrested, although I did spook a couple of people making out. Fun stuff!)

5. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Hahahahaha, that's freakin awesome. It's not an issue w. projection, it's more like I can't even hit the notes. My highest consistent note is an E above high C, I can't even make it come out on the horn. D's are much harder than usual but require about the effort it takes to hit the E, if that makes sense. It's like my range is limited, there's no way this horn should make it harder, so I figured it had to be either something to do w. the mouthpiece gap or maybe I haven't dialed in the right leadpipe yet.