Harrelson Bravura - Impressions of an Amateur Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tedh1951, Jan 16, 2010.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    He just moved to his new shop, so I'm not surprised if he's taking longer
    than usual to fill orders.

2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

What wonderful news! I was afraid we would be destined to eat more Vegemite to lift a trumpet that heavy. Whew! We should all feel a genuine sense of relief! :grouphug:

Best wishes,

Lloyd

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Lads and Lassies,

I continue with the detailed "climation" instructions from Harrelsons with my new Bravura, and have now had a couple of sessions in section practices.

The trumpet fits beautifully in the trumpet line, blending without any effort, carries the 2nd chair solos without a murmur of dissent. I am absolutely loving the whole experience. I played 1st chair the other night and astounded myself with the way the instrument allowed my sound to impose itself on the music - I don't know who was playing it but I don't think it was me.

Last night I did a training exercise with the local school kids to introduce them to their instruments - 8 and 9 year olds - first time ever with horn on lips, and the Band did a small performance to show the parents where their kids could go. Because of the public nature of the performance, and the large number of newbies, I chose to take my Getzen and leave the Bravura safely at home - mistake. The Band members wanted to know why I hadn't included the new trumpet.

So positive comments all round. Onya Jason and the rest of the Harrelson's gang.

4. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi Ted,

Saw the photo of your Harrelson with the 3rd valve slide tied with either string or elastic?

Pray tell what for?

Cheers

Paul.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    So it doesn't slide off of the horn when shipping or on a stand.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Paul,

That's how the trumpet arrived from Harrelsons, and it has taken a couple of runs through the cleaning process to 'almost' eliminate the stains left by the bands. I suspect that Harrelsons 'tie' the slides in to the trumpet so that they don't scoot around in transit, although considering the nature of the packaging, I reckon the slides would probably not have moved - better safe than battered though.

Ewan Mains has taken delivery of his Bravura and I haven't asked how his was packaged, or if it came with similar rubber bands - perhaps he'll read this post.

I've also received the SWE non Prana mouthpiece from Jason, as mentioned in the initial post (I think) and it adds to the mystique and accuracy of the trumpet. The MP too is very heavy, I have to be extremely careful not to drop it - have done that once on the practice room carpet and it made a hell of a din (no damage though, for the purists).

So, some months down the track - the trumpet and mouthpiece combination are a tribute to Harrelsons. Would I recommend one, unhesitatingly yes - but with a rider - be sure this horn is the one for you, play before you pay. I am very happy with mine, it works very very well for me and like all my instruments, the trumpet cries out for a better player on the little end.

7. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hi Ted!

Yup - Happy Bravura owner here! My horn was finished in brushed raw brass & came with a fabric/elastic band on the 3rd slide only. I didn't go for the option of a 3rd slide stop on my horn, so the fabric elastic tyer works fine.

I replace it every time the horn get cleaned (which is about once a month, sometime more depending how busy I am) with another one which I get from a hair accessory store here in the UK (or my daughters dressing table - whichever is closest! :D)

If you're looking for a horn, they're a very good buy just now. Again, as Ted wisely suggests, try before you buy if you can - heavier horns don't suit everyone. Also - Jason does a wide variety of leadpipe/bell combinations, which drastically alter the feel of the Bravura, if you do try one, make sure you note what the leadpipe/bell combo is.

I've just ordered a couple of matched mouthpieces for it, one based on my existing Bobby Shew Lead & deeper flumpet style. I couldn't be happier with the horn myself. I feel it's really helped me move my playing up to the next level.

Cheers!

Ewan :play: