Harrelson Trim Kits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just installed a copper light weight trim kit on my 2335. Although it's advertised as being light, the total weight of the horn has increased a bit.

The appearance is stunning. The playability is very good, but have not played it enough to get a good feel for the subtle differences.

It seems the feedback and slotting may be a bit better now.

The machining is world class first rate. The tolerances are amazingly tight.

I guess my Yammie has been totally "pimped out" with the addition of this Harrelson kit plus the heavy weight Xeno upgrade kit.

Has anyone else purchased these kits from Harrelson? If so, what is your experience?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That trim kit cost as much as your horn is worth!

Copper is heavy, even a lightweight kit will add weight, especially when normal Yamaha caps are pretty light to begin with.

Glad you enjoy the kit.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I know, I know...I have spent too much on upgrades for the horn. Custom lapping of the slides / pistons, Xeno kit, Harrelson kit.

But it's my intent to keep the horn and the truth is the Yamaha is as much fun to play as the Getzen, and my teacher likes it better than his brand "K".

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    :bash:

To each his own.

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I want a trumpet made of lead.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah. I think there are few here who would spend that kind of money on a student horn.

Fortunately you could re-sell or re-use the Harrelson and Xeno trim kits.

Might be more wise to just spend the money on a good pro-quality horn instead of throwing more money into the 2335...

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Money is not an issue here as I have about $650 tied up in what is now a very good trumpet, actually better than when it left the Yamaha factory...not to mention that it is in like new cosmetic condition, plus looks real cool with the copper trim. And the heavy weight Xeno kit made a big difference, not in sound, but in feel.

And the horn is a blast to play, so plan to keep it for a long time!

As for a pro horn, got one (Getzen) already. I like fooling around with older stuff though, cars, airplanes, horns.........

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I want to see a picture

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Is there a simple way to post a photo in the body of the text? I have never had any luck with this.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know how to do it.