Harry James

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MPM, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Here's a lift from the Trumpet Herald:
    ------------
    I would hope that we all said a nice word to Harry James yesterday. He left us on July 6, 1983. Take a moment and listen to one of his recordings today and think of the impact he had on all of us.
    Tony Scodwell
    Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
    ------------
    Here's to you Harry!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Harry was the best.....

My main inspiration!

-cw-

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Harry was Doc before Doc. One can argue, based on his movie career, that he was even more Doc than Doc.

Not Doc myself,
    EC

4. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Harry James was absolutely amazing.

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    If only I had discovered him earlier. I really only heard him the first time last year, and it blew me away. He plays absolutely effortlessly. Definitely one of the best ever in my opinion.

6. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I missed the post on the TH, and apparently here as well...I've been a fan of Harry James since high school - his was the first jazz cd I ever bought! I wish I could have heard him play live!

7. berwicky1

berwicky1 New Friend

Jul 3, 2008
    HJ was great. I heard him in central Michigan in the mid- 50's playing at a dance pavilion. I peaked in a window in the dressing room and he was running about a gallon of valve oil through his horn during a break. The first song played when he returned was Flight of the Bumblebee.....hence the valve oil treatment. A really great night for a fledgling trumpet player.