Has Anyone Ever Had Their Cup Deepened?

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Clard, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Clard

Clard New Friend

Mar 4, 2004
    Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience in having the cup of their mouthpiece deepened or altered in any way.

I play a 3C and want to stick with it. However, I'm considering getting extra one that has had the cup deepened and, most likely, altering the bore.

The 3C is indeed pretty versatile, but at times it's not versatile enough for some of the legit work I do...neither am I for that matter .

Advice? Comments?

Thanks so much,

Clard

2. fatpauly

fatpauly Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2003
    Ellicott City, Maryland
    I think that for the cost, risk and effort, I would just buy another mouthpiece!

- Paul Artola
    Ellicott City, Maryland

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I agree with Paul.

There are lots of 3C substitutes out there. I had the same sort of feel with the 3C and went to a GR3HC* but Curry et al also make excellent alternatives. The GR will probably feel a little larger that the 3 Bach but takes no time at all to get used to.

The GR 3M has a slightly tighter backbore but, like you, I wanted a more open mp so went the 3HC* route..a compromise without going to a full symphonic depth cup.

Regards

Trevor

4. Clard

Clard New Friend

Mar 4, 2004
    Hi and thanks for your replies. I've actually tried other mouthpieces (far too many :shock: ) and still come back to the Bach for the sound and because I like the rim best, of course. The inner diameter of the Currys is too big for me and I haven't found another maker that I like all around.

The cost is actually minimal for this, I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there that has had it done.

Thanks,

Clard