Has anyone had this embouchure problem before?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wtfortissimo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It's more like 6½

2. wtfortissimo

wtfortissimo New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks for all your advice, I ended up taking about 6 months off, and have started this year on eupho to train myself out of the bad embouchure habits i had. Yesterday I overdid it accidentally again, the same uncomfortable burning sensation in my top lip. I definitely agree with the "it takes a lot to kill a lip" :]
    I'll take a few days off, and see how i go ^.^

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The thing I find interesting here is playing loud or over blowing a flugel horn ... my experience with flugels is they just aren't made for that ... I also found that with piccolo trumpets ... try to play them like a regular trumpet and they say NO.
    Maybe it's a matter of a brighter sounding horn that you won't have to blow so hard to "break out" ... don't know if a shallower cup would help or a larger orafice in the mouthpiece... ( my personal opionion on that is lead players use them to break out over the fray).
    My short experience here is.. if Robin doesn't know something, he won't act like he does.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Reprise:
    A great exercise for learning control is to practice what my professor, Gerald Webster called "Ghost Tones." Take a note (say, for example, g in the staff) and without tonguing, play it so softly that the sound really doesn't leave the bell--it will get trapped inside and not project.

This is really hard to do!

To learn the feeling, practice decrescendos with the sound going down to nothing. If the note stops, keep trying until you get it down to next to nothing. When you get this down, try the original exercise.

Not to worry--soft playing requires more embouchure strength than playing loudly.

Have fun!