Has anyone read "Mozart in the Jungle" ?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Alex Yates, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    This book is causing quite a stir in the "classical" world. :-? I was curious if any of you have read it. I have and I must say, I was not surprised by most of its contents. Even though the author is/was a professional Oboe player (Blair Tindall) who freelanced in NYC and with the NY Philharmonic for over ten years, it can apply to ANY musician. I am not talking about all of the "misbehaving" and "substance" issues, as that is not part of my story in the classical world. I am also not talking about her seemingly ungrateful attitude concerning what she did have at one time (a career that most of us orchestra blowers would dream to have). Where I find resonance in this book is in the description of certain events when one has chosen the musical life. The frustrations, the milemarkers along the way where one considers abandoning what they love to have a normal life like everyone else, the feeling of pursuing life without a "safety net", the feeling of being a part of something seemingly insignificant in today's society, the experience of auditions, the politics involved in funding, the abuse of conductors who rape funding with six and seven figure salararies, etc. The book also has a good deal of facts that spell out the rise and fall of funding for orchestras (and art in general). I found that very interesting. The author does seem to have offended quite a few folks since most of the people she mentions are still alive and well and active in the music world. You can go to Amazon, look up this book and just read the reviews. Yikes! They alone give a good picture of the collective nerve Ms. Tindall seems to have struck. You can agree or disagree, or shake your head in disgust at some of the things she describes, but you cannot escape the fact that there is also truth in her uncovering what is the ugliness that lives in the world of orchestras and classical music.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, indeed... and aren't these the same conductors who say there isn't enough public funding for the arts in this "backwards' country?

ML

3. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I read the amazon.com reviews and found only one to be of interest. It was from her former teacher and a very prominent oboist in NYC and the orchestral profession. I will not post it here, but I suggest checking it out on amazon.com. Then check the roster for the New York Philharmonic on nyphilharmonic.org. I am going to purchase a copy of the book this afternoon and read for myself what all the buzz is about.

Ben Fairfield

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am not in this book, thank goodness :cool:
    Wilmer

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The dismal opening quote page to this book

"You ask my opinion about taking the young Salzburg musician into your service. I do not know where you can place him, since I feel that you do not require a composer or other useless people.....It gives one's service a bad name when such types run around like beggars; besides, he has a large family."

-- Letter from Archduke Ferdinand's mother, upon learning of his interest in Mozart, 1771.