Has Music Lost Its Humanity?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by bamajazzlady, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:29 PM.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Katia Saariahaho, Chris Potter and Melanie Martinez are worse than The Bird, Battle of the Green Berets and Spice up your Life, LOL?

I think if we're not careful, we stay in an era in which we have the most satisfaction of one sort or another and associate the music of the time with that. I like a lot of things just because of what they conjure up, not whether they are good or not. The same held true in the past, as will hold true in the future.

You can stay in the past and enjoy what's there, and I guess that's O.K. But continuing to evolve takes a lot of courage and continual hearing of new things with new ears.

True Tone and OldSchoolEuph like this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maybe it is just me, but when I listen to Voces8, Marta Gomez, Kinga Głyk, William Dongois, Cecilia Bartholi, Scotty Barnhart, Tuva Semmingsen and many others, I realize how good that we have it these days. Music has not lost its humanity, we are overwhelmed by the choices and pick things not good for us.

True Tone likes this.
  3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I get that music has cycles, and these things manifest themselves as the generations turn. You don't have to be stuck in the past to enjoy great music, but there sure is a ton of great music from the past.

I think what is being referred to is this: Big Industry has figured out that there is a pop-culture formula that sells, and you can see it in everything from the 90's boy bands to most of the modern blockbuster movies. There are certain entertainment models that will be bought, so they have perfected the models, and use it to make money hand over fist. Now the discerning listener or viewer realizes that such models are merely cheap formulas that are marketed to the mindless masses who will pay for it. So just don't be one of the mindless masses.

I think the ratio of crappy music to excellent music has always been weighted heavily in favor of the crappy music, because literally anybody can make crappy music, and there is a large portion of any given populace that can't tell the difference.

Now I admit that I live largely in the past when it comes to music, but in the last few years I've discovered Post Modern Jukebox, Tuba Skinny, and some other cool stuff.

My only recent experiences with Hip-Hop are what they always have on at the gym, and let me tell you that if I heard that sound coming from my back yard, I'd shoot at it. The formula is apparently something like this:

Come up with a cool riff or a hook, toss in a cute or suggestive cliche, and repeat that 84,389 times. For optimal sales numbers, your cliche should be drafted with a target audience of sexually charged teenagers in mind.

4. Shawn

Shawn New Friend

Jul 2, 2012
    The far north
    Pop music today is an industry that pushes people to buy their product, it is not art. Art music is still available today, though it is not as mainstream as it once was. If you want to hear art, just create it yourself, go to a local concert, or search hard for real talent and emotion in the music of today: it is out there. Overall, I don't listen to the radio much. It is very easy nowadays to listen to what you want to listen to, you can vote with what is valuable and what is music with your own ears and wallet.

5. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    @neal085 there is good to great music in the now, it ain't on Top 40 radio, which I don't listen to/care for personally.

@Shawn I do all of the aforementioned.

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I don't usually listen to them, but I've always thought that Lady Gaga and Eminem were very talented and original musicians. The latter is an absolute marketing genius.

True Tone likes this.
  7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    To me music jus seems to homogeneous now a days. Also old music had layers now it’s mostly electronics and distortion. A good friend of mine is a semi pro rapper here in Cincy. The guy is a genius with words and I completely respect his art form but he’s not likely to ever see me at one of his shows. Although very talented I believe Kurt Cobane and Garth Brooks both had a major role in changing their genres.

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I wouldn't say music has lost its humanity, but it's become way too easy to "manufacture" fake humanity. I do music reviews at this one site, and let me tell you, it makes me sick how many talentless so-called singers evidently have access to resources to create music products, complete with fancy backbeat, fake soul (for example that horrible tremolo many so-called soul singers use), and whatnot. The good news though, is every once and a while some true musicianship shows up. It's tough though.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I personally think popular music is 1.) by far the most promoted, and 2.) lacking the depth of a lot of former popular music. But you're listening to the wrong stuff if you think music just seems too homogeneous now a days. There's a lot of diversity and creativity out there. You just have to dig deeper than before.

True Tone and (deleted member) like this.
  10. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.