Hat in hand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Apr 8, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I thought is was going to be about busking.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Actually the term "Hat in hand" means with humility or humbly.
    I know how you feel from a different perspective. Many times in church, we play without charts. I improve pretty well and would piece together several licks on even the "rock" style songs. The "writer" would finally make a chart after we've played it for months BUT change the lick slightly. Then he would hand me the chart and the nanosecond I missed it he would be on my like flies on stink! "You didn't play that the way I wrote it", he would say. Finally had enough and said, "How could I play my own licks wrong, since they are mine"? Anyway, as was suggested, slow it down and use a metronome that you can put in the upbeats. Korg MA-30 or TM 50 are good for that.

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    +1 Use a metronome, get it right slow and then up two clicks. If you mess up, back one click, etc.etc.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Not exactly relevant but at a band rehearsal last night I was told, "you are playing it exactly as it's written. That's not how it goes."

My reply was, "best you rewrite it then, as I don't do guessing." :cool:

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    No, I can swing it/play it, I'm struggling with reading, putting out the note I see.... I think I will put the fingering on each note and go SLOW.....

6. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I have one sheet I pulled off the net, I don't think it is complete... To add to the fun I've also forgotten what some of the symbols mean on the sheet music AARRGGHHHH

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Ah so now it may be in "F" ? OY

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    FAR be it from me to criticize a trumpet player who is doing their level best and is more concerned with the music than with himself (gender specific not as exclusive but because I relate better.) I am usually okay, although I am not NEARLY the sight reader I was in college. However, I remember one section where I was playing the second part on a church piece that had a brief modulation into F# Major. I am not used to reading the bottom note (part was 1 and 2) so I wrote out fingerings... half to relieve my anxiety and half as an example for the third player, a high school kid who played on a middle school level. After he wrote in his fingerings (finally) things sounded much better. You do whatever you have to do.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Thanks all.... I'll report back when I get it wired...

10. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I've heard from several people with second-hand knowledge that Louis used false fingerings whenever it would make the lick easier. I prefer the term "alternate fingering" because there's nothing false about them. The ascending line in the third measure can be played almost entirely with 1 and 3 pressed. Now, I'm sure some are going to scoff at me playing anything above a D with 1 and 3...but it works, it sounds right, and it fits with the feel of a "bugle call" arpeggio. So there!