Have any of you done this? Please tell me I'm not alone!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dorkdog, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    Has anyone bought a horn only to sell it a week or 2 later because you found a better one?

OK...

I came on here after getting a Little Blue Trumpet a month or so ago. I played around with it, and really enjoyed it. I joined TM and have met some supportive folks who encouraged me to the point of deciding to buy an 'actual' instrument and dump the toy.

So... I did a lot of research and decided on a Getzen 580 or 700 series in silver. I found one on eBay and it looked nice; I bid on it and was the high bidder when it was pulled. I did related searches, came over here to the classifieds, etc. etc. and finally decided on a 1915 York PerfecTone cornet. A bit of a different result, but I had also done my research on them and found them to be a good choice and a solid horn.

I bid on the cornet and won it, it came in the post and I have been playing it ever since. I do like it, but quite honestly I was so pissed off that the Getzen got pulled for whatever reason that I more or less bought the first thing that appealed to me. I lucked out because it's a really nice horn. My range and tone are improving faster than with the cheap little pocket trumpet.

Now, just 2 weeks later a forum member referred me to an ad that had just been placed on here listing a barely played Getzen 700 Eterna II which is within the original budget and a bit more than I paid for the cornet.

So I plan to purchase the Getzen and post the cornet, or maybe keep it. Depends on how guilty you all let me feel....

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don't know your situation, but if you can afford to have both, why not? If you, too, are a hobbyist it can be interesting and fun to play and appreciate the difference between instruments. My two primary instruments are both Bb trumpets, but I have a flugel, and a couple other cornets and trumpets as well. Some comebacker virtual friends play that Getzen. They seem to really like it. Good luck sorting things out.
    Jim

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sell a horn?? are you going NUTS on us my friend? sell a horn, what a crazy idea that is!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    If it were me I would hold on to the York unless I just couldn't afford it. I would also not be so hasty in buying a new trumpet until I was a bit clearer in my mind what I was looking for in a horn. If you have tried a Getzen 700 Eterna II and know this is the horn for you, compared to, say, an Olds Recording, or some used Yamaha models, or a King, then that might be a different matter. Also, as somebody once pointed out, the deal of the decade comes around about every week.

--bumblebee

5. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    I have played a Getzen or 2 before; a 580 and a Severinsen from the 70's (that really felt good to me). I also had a Getzen 'bone years ago. I should have held out originally and didn't; now I'm kicking myself. The cornet was a 'retail therapy' dealio when the Getzen I wanted was pulled with minutes left and no bids. Except mine. I like playing it, but...

I feel more like the Getzen is the proper horn for me to learn on; I will likely appreciate the cornet more once I build up some chops. I'm likely to buy it (in fact am already pretty much committed to it) and then the question will be to keep the cornet or not.

6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I'm not gonna lie, I buy horns and sell them to make money. GASP! Don't feel bad. So long as you are honest and trade fairly, there is really nothing to be guilty about.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    18+ !! :oops:

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    That's a nice cornet, but you'd be better off playing the Getzen for your daily practice. If you want a Kanstul 1504 then send me a PM.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Arrrggg a Serious attack of N+1 where's G-Man. All fun aside if you can afford both why not, my horn collection keeps growing I've added an Ebay banger trumpet this week.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Now you know how it starts .... I have flipped a few but I find the older model horns harder to let go. Generally the older horns, unless they are something special, don't really command much money on the market, heck you can have a great playing instrument for the price of a nice dinner for two. Don't feel guilty about that right?
    That Getzen is a pretty nice horn, still there is some esoteric thing happening when you pic up a trumpet that is over 75 years old.