Have I lost my chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JHSTrumpet, May 27, 2011.

1. JHSTrumpet

JHSTrumpet New Friend

May 21, 2011
    USA
    I'm new here, so bare with me. I've been playing trumpet now for about three years, started in the sixth grade. Anyway, just recently I've been having problems. For some reason after playing for a while, usually just a couple songs, my tone starts sound flat and my playing sounds muffled. I don't know what to do, it just started happening all of a sudden. Has anyone had this problem, and could you help me if you know what's wrong?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    There can be a number of things causing your problem including breathing and too much pressure with the mouthpiece. No one here can give you an absolute answer without seeing and hearing you play. I would suggest you find a good private teacher and do what they tell you. By the way, Welcome to TM. Enjoy your stay.

3. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Has it been long since you last cleaned your mouthpiece and trumpet? :huh:

4. JHSTrumpet

JHSTrumpet New Friend

May 21, 2011
    USA
    I just cleaned it a few days ago.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Flat muffled is a sign of crappy breathing, thin is a sign of too much pressure. Both sins can destroy endurance.

The above can be spotted by a decent trumpet teacher in 5 minutes.

You just started hearing it recently. Maybe others have heard it longer.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    When I start playing funky, before I overthink my problem, I get the horn outside for some fun easy stuff, like hymns or show tunes. Usually I start to sound better almost right away after I forget about dynamics and tone and just play out. Breathing and breath control are easily neglected and can let a problem sneak up on you. I play with a little ragtag group and we always do the Memorial Day parade. We ride on a wagon and have a blast, just what the doctor ordered....except dont overdo the blasting part! Best wishes.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is the best advice. A good techer will show you how to do it right. If you can't find one locally you can try online lessons.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and what about the cork on the spit valve? who knows maybe that is deformed or missing -- it could happen you know!! just a thought before we all diagnose this.