Have times changed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 23, 2014.

1. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I try not to post without good reason (please don't take this as an opportunity to bring my attention to posts which defy this last statement) but just now I'm listening to a schools band at the mall who are doing a very good job indeed. It's a large band with 11 trumpets, and what strikes me is that most of the band are girls and only 3 of the trumpeters are boys. When I was a young fella the bands were almost all male and I think mine only ever had 3 girls on trumpet over the 10 or so years I played with them.
    Has the balance changed do you think?

--bumblebee

coolerdave likes this.
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep

bumblebee likes this.
  3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    I hope that the balance has changed actually, as I think that the trumpet used to be seen as a bit geeky - posiible still is?

But I do wonder whether the Alison Balsom and Tine Thing Helseth, thing has had an affect?... Successful skilled trumpet players who don't look like Chet Baker.

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    When I was in highschool (not too long ago, bout two or so years) at least half of the band was female. A lot of cute girls too!

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Up a few years ago, the trumpet was still seen as an instrument that needs too much strength for "the weaker sex". Ladies like Carole Dawn Reinhardt were pioneers in the field; but even Maurice André put his daughter onto oboe instead of trumpet... thank God that has changed now.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And at a guess, most of these girls were on woodwinds...

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    2 years ago? That's about now when considering my own timeframe, so it looks like the change happened sometime during the 90's or a little later I would guess.

--bumblebee

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Lip Scar

9. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    There is one girl in the trumpet section in my marching band. We're getting two more next year as incoming freshmen, so I would say that yes, maybe times have changed.

~Noah

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    In my grand daughter's H.S. band, most of the trumpet section is female. Not an overly strong one either, though:oops:

coolerdave likes this.