Have times changed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 23, 2014.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, many more females in the section. Buddy Rich would not have been pleased. Personally, I think many play well.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I guess it depend on where you live. I grew up and (again) live in the northeast and there have always been a decent number of female trumpet players in school bands. I haven't seen any studies, but in my observation the population of female trumpet players is greater in primary grades and then decreases through high school.

The reasons are many and varied, but the trend then continues trough college programs and into professional gigs.

I know there will be a flood of "But what about XXXX, and XXXX"? Yes, there are some exceptions, but the trumpet is still decidedly a male dominated instrument.

And like Maurice Andre, I am encouraging one of my daughters to play the oboe. Much easier to get scholarships there then on trumpet.

3. TrumpetTAC

TrumpetTAC New Friend

Nov 21, 2013
    I am a school band director and our school is not large. It seems that everyone must play several sports at all times and there is a large faction that moves guys away from band so they can be athletes. We have many girls in the program (it seems that they are the only ones who realize that they can still play or sing at 45 while all the guys will not be able to walk very well due to injury) and they have done just as well as any boys who play the same instrument.

We have had a string of several girls as trumpet section leaders who have done very well. They are tough and play well!

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi bumblebee,
    Just think, a lot of the posts about trumpet problems can be traced to "using too much force and tension".
    Is the trumpet a "masculine" instrument? Nope, it's just an instrument.
    Dr.Mark

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    GBDEAMER stated the opportunity for a college scholarship playing an oboe is greater than a trumpet, and this I won't disagree with when I went to WVU, where then the band director was an accomplished bassoonist ... but thereafter the opportunity to get a position playing one is nearer the bottom of the list IMO. If one believes manipulating a brass instrument mouthpiece is difficult, just think about, and actually attempt to play an open double reed (the bagpipe double reed is encased inside the chanter).

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    And the krumhorn as well.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi SteveRicks,
    You stated:
    "Buddy Rich would not have been pleased."
    ---
    Buddy Rich was a great musician and a piss poor person.
    One of my favorite Buddy Rich stories was when he took martial arts and then went to a bar and got his ass kicked.
    Dr.Mark

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Someone should have called the SPCA! The poor ass should have been left at home. Didn't Buddy know how to drive?

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I've come across a lot of really decent female soloists on YouTube - not just the well known pros and those listed by Mr Maximus, but young people doing recitals as part of their training or something. When I see individual talent I am impressed, but last night I had the feeling that perhaps now up and coming players are possibly more likely to be young ladies rather than young men.

That's a good clip, Dave, thanks.

--bumblebee