Have times changed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 23, 2014.

1. WyldeBill66

WyldeBill66 Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2008
    Salinas,CA
    When I was in band in the early 80's, there was one female trumpet player. She was pretty good though. One of the better players in fact. Couldn't hit the really high notes like the guys, but playing trumpet isn't all about that, is it?

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    In my junior high and high school years, there was a pretty good trumpet player who had a figure like Demi Moore, an attitude like Rosie O'Donnell, and a face like Thomas Jefferson. Unforgettable.

3. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    lip-to-lip massage?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Have times changed, I think not. Perhaps the gender has been changed to protect the innocent?

I have been teaching for around 40 years. I still repeat the same things, have a statistical proportion of my students that are achievers and a portion that are not, although I more easily terminate the babysitting services than I used to.

If we look at the jazz scene, trumpet is still really skewed towards males, in spite of the Laurie Frinks and Liesl Whitakers whose playing defies genderprejudice. The symphonic world is also not that much different. As far as university teaching goes, more women seem to be involved in producing the next generation and I think that it is safe to say the Barb Butlers are cranking out as many successful players as any of the male colleagues.

So, my opinion is that times have not changed really and if at all, for the worse. We have the information age here and now and never has there been so many clueless running around.......... That has NOTHING to do with gender.

What I am waiting for is the signature trumpet of some top class female player - heart shaped mouthpiece, pink lacquer and VERY slim (sorry - 10 euros in the chauvi piggy bank)................ Then times will have changed!

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well . . . I haven't personally seen proportionately more female players in professional (even community) units than in the past, but I have seen a difference in male attitudes which seem more receptive and less judgmental.

Something happens in the process of student musicians coming up through the system that has fewer women in trumpet sections. I don't know what it is, but if you take a school feeder system like in many American schools, children are given their choice of instruments in the beginning (although this might be hindered by other factors) and I'm not aware of significantly fewer females there in the beginning. So where do they go as the years go on and why?

I would also like to add, that in other brass instruments, particularly French Horn, I've seen a marked increase in females in sections and key positions.

So maybe the "progress" in other instrumental areas, as well as, seemingly, a more accepting attitude of younger generations, will also see an increase in females in the trumpet world.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was just in contact with a young lady I tried to help prep for college. She has been doing very well and told me that she was receiving lessons from Kathryn Adduci ... so enter youtube
    If Kathryn teaches half as good as she plays then the young lady is in good hands ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9O2_u-qibc

bumblebee likes this.
  7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Thanks for that, dave. I just love this stuff.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that seems about right. I participate in 2 community bands --- (1st band has 4 women out of 10 in trumpet section) -- (2nd band has 5 women out of 8 trumpet players) -- so it's almost equal. I will say this though!!!! -- the trumpet GEEK part is definitely male, (who can hit the highest note, who has the coolest mpc, who has the coolest trumpet, and such -- the women, they are just DULL people as trumpet players, no machismo, no bragging, they just come in and play the trumpet --- PERHAPS that is the difference --- WOMEN ARE ALL BUSINNESS -- they haven't learned how to be a TRUMPET GEEK (uhm, maybe in another 20 years they will catch up to us guys)) ROFL ROFL ROFL

bumblebee likes this.